Recommendations for irrigating a small bed...

The place to discuss irrigation systems, sprinkers and watering
northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Recommendations for irrigating a small bed...

Post by northeastlawn » April 14th, 2017, 8:38 pm

I have a small yard and get away with a outside faucet and battery operated 2 valve timer. I have a hose that i run around the permitter of the yard, and put out gardena sprinklers when I water. I changed my setup a little and now have hose end next to a flower bed.

I was thinking of doing something similar for a small 25'x4'' mulch bed with flowers. I wouldn't mind setting up a small pop up mist system for the flowers in there.

I have seen a few kits out there, but they seem expensive for what they are, any suggestions?

ENVY23
Grass Type: KBG: Midnight, Bluebank, Mazama
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Recommendations for irrigating a small bed...

Post by ENVY23 » April 14th, 2017, 10:38 pm

25 ft by 4 INCHES? Or did you mean 4 FEET? I'm gonna assume 4ft. You might look into a soaker hose. Maybe get a 50ft one and run it down to one end and come back.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » April 16th, 2017, 11:09 am

The soaker hose would certainly be the cheapest, if rather slow (and at least on my water, soaker hoses tend to clog up in 5 years or so).

My beds are...larger (there are 9 total for 2,000 total square feet), and I use a micro-sprinkler/micro-spray combination in 2 zones to hit it all (technically, a drip irrigation system, although something like self-cleaning drippers would also be a great option for you at that size). Most of it came from places like Dripworks and the like. Mine's hose end, not PVC-connected, and I also use an EZ-Flo to feed the gardens (using my own feeding mix).

LTCM
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by LTCM » April 19th, 2017, 9:57 pm

I have never had good luck with octopus systems of 1/4" inch lines run off 1/2", which has led me to remove almost all of my mini sprinklers/sprays, bubblers, misters, etc. If you do go that route, try to keep your 1/4" lines to the absolute minimum possible. You can absolutely have a great system with mini sprays et al., but I much prefer self cleaning drip emitters.