control box during on 2 valves issue

The place to discuss irrigation systems, sprinkers and watering
darinbrown
Grass Type: Zoysia
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

control box during on 2 valves issue

Post by darinbrown » May 22nd, 2017, 8:17 pm

so I inherited an existing system and had about 4 new rotors added to the turf area to help with coverage. I found the valve box (we'll call it A) to turn them on/off in the yard and that's working just fine. However, when I turn on that zone from the control box in the garage it controls that valve (A) and another separate valve (B) for a total of 13 heads which results in inadequate pressure for the new heads. I haven't been able to locate the valve box in the yard for B and there's just one wire per zone in the control box in the garage but it's somehow activating both valves when controlled from the garage. Possible that the 2 valves were field-wired together somewhere between the boxes in the yard and the controller? If so, what should I be looking for? Any (quick) resolution or would I have to run another wire all the way back to the controller? possible to split the zone? I've got 2-3 open slots at the control box but would just assume not have to run a new wire there as I assume that's a fairly involved process..

newbie here.. looking for some suggestions..

thanks in advance

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)

Re: control box during on 2 valves issue

Post by g-man » May 22nd, 2017, 10:10 pm

Finding the second valve box will help. I think you are in the right path. Check if the valves in box A have two wires on each terminal, like if they are feeding the next valve from that valve. Who installed the new rotors? They did not check proper operation from the controller?

darinbrown

Post by darinbrown » May 22nd, 2017, 11:39 pm

yeah, wasn't home when he wrapped up so he just tested the new heads manually from the valve in the yard. I'll snap some pics of the one valve and try to locate the other.

darinbrown

Re: control box turning on 2 valves issue

Post by darinbrown » May 23rd, 2017, 8:23 pm

here's a picture of the 2 valves being controlled by the same zone by the controller. I'm guessing these are field-wired to each other? thankfully they're right next to each other so hopefully not a huge hassle to unpair them?

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)

Post by g-man » May 23rd, 2017, 9:37 pm

First image on the right side, the twist connector seems to have two pink wires. See if one of those pinks wires goes to the second valve.

There seems to be plenty of extra wires in there. It makes me wonder why they connected two valves. The only logical reason is a 8 zone controller and there was no more room.

darinbrown

Post by darinbrown » May 24th, 2017, 9:53 am

I'll check on that. I've got a 12-zone controller with just 10 zones being used. I think the paired valves may have been introduced when the system was re-wired after a swimming pool was put in and they may have combined 2 zones then in order to add an auto-fill for the pool as the total number of zones stayed at 10 before/after the sprinkler reroute for the pool.