Needing above ground sprinkler advice

The place to discuss irrigation systems, sprinkers and watering
Casutherland
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Needing above ground sprinkler advice

Post by Casutherland » June 17th, 2017, 8:15 pm

Hey guys, I have some areas in my back yard that I am struggling getting watered in unison with the remainder of the back yard. I just picked up a 4 hose water timer.

Can you guys provide any equipment advice for the three areas pictures below. The two areas next to the deck are the hardest to get to.

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Needing above ground sprinkler advice

Post by g-man » June 18th, 2017, 6:55 am

What? watered in unison? Like all areas at once? That might not be possible with hoses. You need to have enough pressure and gpm that the hoses bib can't provide.

What's hard with this areas? Im not sure why you are struggling. Any one of this style should work. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017QDHYM/

STL

Post by STL » June 18th, 2017, 7:50 am

Try some irrigation heads attached to the spike mounts that some impact sprinklers use. Depending on which kind you go with and your water pressure, you may be able to do 2-3 per zone.

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » June 18th, 2017, 9:16 am

g-man wrote:
June 18th, 2017, 6:55 am
What? watered in unison? Like all areas at once? That might not be possible with hoses. You need to have enough pressure and gpm that the hoses bib can't provide.

What's hard with this areas? Im not sure why you are struggling. Any one of this style should work. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017QDHYM/
Well it doesn't necessarily have to be in unison, basically I just mean that I don't want to have to constantly go out and move the hoses around. Even if I set each zone to overlap by maybe 15 minutes.

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » June 18th, 2017, 9:23 pm

May try the impact sprinklers and see if they work. I have trouble getting those to do what I want. I sort of like the oscillating sprinklers..thoughts?

g-man

Post by g-man » June 18th, 2017, 10:27 pm

You are not being clear of what you want. Not move the hoses? Then have 5-6 hoses all around the yard and turn each one via a timer. You will need to move them to mow or find a route thru the shrubs/house edge. The other option is in ground irrigation.

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » June 18th, 2017, 10:35 pm

No I do not plan on leaving the hoses in the yard. I just don't prefer waking up at 5 am to water. In the past I have a single zone timer and would have to go move the hose every little bit. With this new system, I plan on setting the hoses out the night before I water, and collect each hose prior to going to work.

Does this make sense? Do you think this is logical? Is there a better method??

Also, I am looking for advice on which type and brand of sprinkler people have had success with. I included pictures for reference. I tend to have trouble watering the two sections on the sides of my deck. They normally will overlap with the backyard. I really am wanting to get to water as evenly as possible, and have had trouble getting that to work in the past.

g-man

Post by g-man » June 18th, 2017, 10:50 pm

Ok, this makes sense. I used to do something like this in my old house. I had a 4 hose / zone timer on each bib. Orbits downgraded their model. It is not as flexible in the programing anymore.

g-man

Post by g-man » June 18th, 2017, 11:00 pm

I hit submit too soon on my last post.

To be able to help you, draw up your property with some rough dimensions. Ideally to scale (10ft = 1in should do it). Mark the locations of your bibs and mulch areas. Take a picture and post it.