Help with sprinkler placement (and intro)

The place to discuss irrigation systems, sprinkers and watering
ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Help with sprinkler placement (and intro)

Post by ken-n-nancy » August 1st, 2017, 2:43 pm

Looks good. Does seem like the general layout should still work. You'll need to figure out what to do with the head that was previously at the corner of the fence and side of the house.

I have personal experience only with the rotors (not the spray heads), so I'm not really able to help with the pro / con. I'm interested in hearing what others recommend for that.

PeterS
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by PeterS » August 1st, 2017, 5:44 pm

sh3rlock wrote:
August 1st, 2017, 12:11 pm
Is there a preference for rotors over sprays? The MP2000 line with PRS bodies are quite comparable in radius and GPM to the I-20 line with the PRS bodies, and cheaper for the same number of heads. Any reason I should choose one over the other? Personal preference? How do I know when I should use the PRS bodies vs if I'm okay using regular bodies?
I have some experience with both the MP Rotators (PRS and unregulated) and also rotors. My preference for your size of property would be to go with the rotors. I found that the MP Rotators tend not to have the cleanest edges, as the stream drops right as it hits the edge of its defined path. With rotors, I feel like I get better coverage and an overall better water distribution. Plus if I decide that I would like to get my 1" of irrigation down faster, I can increase the size of my nozzles as long as I'm not exceeding my maximum flow rate for a zone (~14 GPM at my house).

I use the MP Rotators in my back yard, which is mostly flagstone and pool with the exception of the borders of the yard (drip) and about 350 sq ft of turf. In that area, I went with the MP Rotators SR (short radius) on PRS40 spray bodies. I've been very happy with that setup and it only takes me a little over an hour to get 1" on the ground. I like the regulated bodies because before I installed them, one head would spray further than another with the same nozzle and adjustment. Now they're all exactly even. And to mitigate the issue of the less-than-perfectly-defined edges, I just adjust them to spray a bit beyond 180 degrees since it just puts a little extra water into my tree/flower bed areas.

sh3rlock
Grass Type: Unknown
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by sh3rlock » August 2nd, 2017, 12:16 pm

Awesome insight PeterS. I really appreciate it your feedback from your experience.

It looks like I will be using the I-20-PRS with the short radius nozzles for the main lawn and MP2000 Rotator Sprays on PRS30 bodies for the area by the fence. Reason being I don't want to overspray onto the house and fence by using rotors in that area - logical thinking, right?

My garage is across my driveway from this area of the lawn. Since the water connection is on this side of the house, I was going to put the valves over here, probably in the flower bed area by the water meter. In order to put the timer/controller in the garage, I will need to run the wires in 1 of 3 ways: 1)through the attic, across and down the exterior side of the house via conduit. 2) outside, underground under the driveway. 3) outside, underground around the back of the house and back to the front.

My current choice is through the attic and down, but I'd like to hear alternative opinions. Looks like I'll be placing an order tonight for the heads, valves, risers, wire, SR nozzles, and back flow preventer. The rest I will purchase at Lowe's locally.

PeterS
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by PeterS » August 2nd, 2017, 3:38 pm

Since my valve bank is right next to my house, I can't comment on the ease of running controller wire.

However, I notice you mentioned the MP rotators on the PRS30 bodies... the PRS30 bodies are for traditional spray heads. MP rotator heads should be at 40 psi, so I think you should be using the PRS40 heads instead. Also, I would caution you about precipitation rate if you're mixing MP Rotstors and rotors on the same zone or area. Most rotors put down water a bit faster than the MP rotators, so you could end up under watering those areas if you're not careful. Just my 2 cents.

sh3rlock
Grass Type: Unknown
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by sh3rlock » August 3rd, 2017, 1:25 pm

Thanks PeterS for the advice. I went and read up on Hunter's website and they state that the MP2000 heads can be used on the PRS 30 and 40 bodies in the FAQs: (https://www.hunterindustries.com/homeow ... ort/sprays).

The rotators and rotors will be on separate valves so that won't be an issue for me, and they will be on the north section of the lawn that the rotors don't quite fit into so the precipitation rates will be accounted for.

This is my list of materials so far. I am buying the controller, PVC and other misc parts locally.

I am considering using a slip x slip valve instead of the MPT x MPT as well. As long as no one chimes in with something glaring that I have overlooked, I will be pulling the trigger tonight.