Dual Check Valve - is it that bad?

The place to discuss irrigation systems, sprinkers and watering
llO0DQLE
Grass Type: KBG and Creeping Red Fescue
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Dual Check Valve - is it that bad?

Post by llO0DQLE » September 10th, 2017, 5:59 pm

So after reading the Backflow Preventer section of Irrigation Tutorials, I discovered that I have a DUAL check valve. Irrigation Tutorials says that a DUAL check valve is not the same as a DOUBLE check valve and is NOT okay to use in an Irrigation System.

This is the one I have: http://www.wattscanada.ca/pages/_produc ... sp?pid=877

Is it really that bad? Do I really need to upgrade this to a Double Check Valve? I know that Irrigation Tutorials' info is pretty much gold but I'm just wondering how bad of a situation I'm in. I'd like to avoid unnecessarily spending money on an upgrade if it's not critical. I have two manual valves on either side of the dual check valve to shut off the water supply. If I don't want to replace right now, should I shut off the water supply to the irrigation system with the manual valves after each watering to be absolutely sure that I don't get any backflow?

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Dual Check Valve - is it that bad?

Post by Green » September 10th, 2017, 9:58 pm

I wonder what your local regulations require for a backflow preventer. Since the previous guy installed it himself, it might not be up to code.

Our backflow preventer is really heavy duty...I see some homes with a different type that doesn't look anywhere near as rugged. I remember taking ours out of the box when it was new, because the guy who was going to install it dropped it off a week before. It was heavy...like 20 lbs.

llO0DQLE

Post by llO0DQLE » September 10th, 2017, 11:11 pm

None of the irrigation contractors that came to do a quote said anything concerning about it. I think 1 or 2 even complimented it. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't have regulations. Irrigation systems aren't common here.

SW315
Grass Type: Front Yard: Bewitched, America and Beyond United Seed Super Turf 1 overseed 9/2017 / Back yard: TTTF Mutt
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by SW315 » September 14th, 2017, 8:06 pm

That is not a backflow prevention device. I would check local code to see what is required. PVB's are pretty common but depending on where the device is installed will dictate what device you should use.

llO0DQLE

Post by llO0DQLE » September 14th, 2017, 9:29 pm

It's in the basement. After rereading the relevant sections from Irrigation Tutorials i feel like I should go with the Reduced Pressure ones. The other options like anti siphon valves wont work as its in the basement and ASV need to be higher than the sprinklers. Jess Stryker doesnt recommend even the Double Check Valves so thats why I think I need to upgrade to the reduced pressure ones.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » September 14th, 2017, 10:40 pm

llO0DQLE, I don't have any working knowledge of backflow preventers...but if it helps, my system has a "reduced pressure principle" backflow preventer from what I can see.

llO0DQLE

Post by llO0DQLE » September 15th, 2017, 2:53 am

Well Jess Stryker says the reduced pressure ones are the industry standard, that he doesnt recommend even the double check preventers and that the other options wont work for me as they need to be above all the sprinklers, then it seems that the choice is clear for me.