*Reminder - Inspect Your Irrigation system

The place to discuss irrigation systems, sprinkers and watering
PW405
Grass Type: Primary: TTTF (blend), KBG. Bermuda (hellstrip)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

*Reminder - Inspect Your Irrigation system

Post by PW405 » September 16th, 2017, 9:15 pm

Being the prime time of year to drop seed, many will be running their systems multiple times per day to keep seed damp during germination. Today I found the guts of a misting head near where me and my neighbors yards meet. I was pretty sure it wasn't mine, so I let my neighbor know. I turned on all my zones and didn't see any issues.

Or so I thought...

Turns out, the sprinkler guts were NOT mine, however I found a different issue later when I was watering in some grub killer: I had to use an 18" "flexible riser" to get a head where I needed it earlier in the year. I think my giant dog may have dug near the area and punctured the riser "hose". Even though the zone had adequate pressure which led me to believe that everything was fine when I ran it earlier in the day, a decent volume of water was bubbling up from underground. Hard to see since I had to stand in the spray to get a good angle.

I'm glad I caught the issue, as water was beginning to pond near the foundation of the house. This zone would have been on for hours/week over the next 14-21 days.

Moral of the story? Take a close look at all your heads. Make sure they aren't spewing water from below. If you don't want to get wet, place a 5 gallon bucket (or similar) over nearby heads while you double check each one.

The odd thing is that my neighbor ran her system and all her heads were fine. We never found out where the guts came from.