Tricky setup for next year. Might need some ideas

The place to discuss irrigation systems, sprinkers and watering
Maizan24
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Novice

Tricky setup for next year. Might need some ideas

Post by Maizan24 » October 2nd, 2017, 12:21 pm

So I'm thinking towards next year. My plans are to do a full front reno and a side overseed. My main concern is getting good water coverage up front. I don't have a sprinkler head irrigation system. I have 2 oscillating sprinklers and 2 impact sprinklers at the moment. I have one hose hookup in front with a two way splitter. I have one hose hookup in back that will allow me to reach the side of the house. Also currently have no timers but would invest if recommended so I don't have to keep walking over the reno area to turn things on and off.

The biggest hindrance is going to be the front corner where a maple lives. This means the oscillating sprinklers will be next to worthless since the water will just hit the tree and not hit all the spots they need to. Was thinking about putting an impact with a 90 degree arc but I haven't been able to get them to work correctly. When I tried testing the sprinkler when I got it it would start ticking along and then just stop. Never returned to original spot. Not sure what could be causing this if anyone has any clues about that. Maybe pressure is too high or low?

Also the coverage area is roughly 2500 Sq ft up front and around 1000 on side. My larger oscillating sprinkler covers a good 2 thirds of my front yard. Smaller oscillating sprinkler shouldn't have a problem covering the side. Thanks in advance for any tips!

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: Tricky setup for next year. Might need some ideas

Post by TimmyG » October 2nd, 2017, 3:07 pm

Impact sprinkler require a good deal of pressure to operate. Consider instead a (plastic) gear-driven rotary sprinkler. They're quieter and highly adjustable, even at low pressure.

TimmyG

Post by TimmyG » October 2nd, 2017, 3:20 pm

I have a few of this older model Gardena sprinkler. It was a sad day when Gardena updated the design many years back. Fancier looking and cost more, but the radial coverage was never as good. I used to water 3/4 acre with these and a couple Nelson traveling sprinklers. Fortunately, we moved a few years back and inherited an in-ground system before my last remaining Gardena sprinklers broke down. Now I use them sparingly during droughts to supplement weak areas of the in-ground system.

Maizan24
Grass Type: Northern mix
Level: Novice

Post by Maizan24 » October 2nd, 2017, 3:31 pm

Thanks for the input guys. Those rotary sprinklers look like they will do the job. How adjustable are they? Like I said I'll need to cover the corner so if it can be set to 90 degrees i should be golden.

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Level: Some Experience

Post by Marinegrunt » October 2nd, 2017, 7:12 pm

I've tried all kinds of sprinklers. After some recommendations from some others on here I ended up using Hunter GOO but rigged them for above ground use. It just takes a spike off of an impact sprinkler and a 1/2" to 3/4" male adapter. They work so well. If I only set one up it will shoot ever 60' depending on the nozzle. I can water 3/4 of my 9500 square foot yard with one sprinkler if I wanted too. It's nice because you can swap nozzles to get the exact pattern you want. They have a gentle spray too. I ended up using 2-3 at a time for more even coverage instead of just using one. At $8 a piece they are well worth it.

TimmyG

Post by TimmyG » October 2nd, 2017, 9:00 pm

In-ground system heads are a great option for large coverage (and cheap), but they don't adjust to small areas (small radius) well at all and adjustment requires tools. Perfectly fine for a single location, but not exactly convenient if you need to move it around and change the angle and radius.

TimmyG

Post by TimmyG » October 2nd, 2017, 9:02 pm

Maizan24 wrote:
October 2nd, 2017, 3:31 pm
How adjustable are they?
TimmyG wrote:
October 2nd, 2017, 3:07 pm
They're...highly adjustable.