Backflow Valve Protection?

The place to discuss irrigation systems, sprinkers and watering
RockinMyLawn
Grass Type: Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Backflow Valve Protection?

Post by RockinMyLawn » November 13th, 2017, 12:57 pm

I'm currently using some R6 Duct insulation wrapped around the valves & a trash bag to cover it all.
Would like to increase my risk management.

Anyone using a blanket/pink insulation/cover/box/fake rock to protect their irrigation backflow valve from freeze or year round?

Would appreciate any feedback or experiences.

Thanks.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Backflow Valve Protection?

Post by andy10917 » November 13th, 2017, 1:45 pm

I'm lucky enough to have the backflow valve in my basement, but I'm not getting your logic -- insulation protects heated areas from losing heat to cold areas. If there is no heated area in play, what effect will the insulation have?

RockinMyLawn

Post by RockinMyLawn » November 13th, 2017, 6:21 pm

andy10917 wrote:
November 13th, 2017, 1:45 pm
I'm lucky enough to have the backflow valve in my basement, but I'm not getting your logic -- insulation protects heated areas from losing heat to cold areas. If there is no heated area in play, what effect will the insulation have?
Good point - but it's been a tried & true way to get a R - rated 'blanket' around the pipes.
Heck a blanket can be used also but it is rather expensive vs. a R- rated solution that I use currently:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/E-O-12-in-x ... 3100028603

Of course this way is what I want to 'upgrade' to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk6YTLLUYPs

Jennings44

Post by Jennings44 » November 13th, 2017, 9:17 pm

Insulations purpose is to prevent or slow down heat transfer. Not only protecting heated areas from losing heat to cool areas but also to keep cool areas from gaining heat from hot areas.

The insulation would help against freezing for a short while. Any extended periods below freezing and the thing only it will do is keep it frozen longer. The best thing would be to properly winterize your system to get as much water out as possible.

If you want to keep the backflow valve from freezing I would wrap something like this around it.

RockinMyLawn

Post by RockinMyLawn » November 14th, 2017, 1:14 am

Jennings44 wrote:
November 13th, 2017, 9:17 pm
I
Insulations purpose is to prevent or slow down heat transfer. Not only protecting heated areas from losing heat to cool areas but also to keep cool areas from gaining heat from hot areas.

The insulation would help against freezing for a short while. Any extended periods below freezing and the thing only it will do is keep it frozen longer. The best thing would be to properly winterize your system to get as much water out as possible.

If you want to keep the backflow valve from freezing I would wrap something like this around it.
Yes, I do get my backflow blown out but since we already had 1 hard freeze, I wanted to prevent any possibility of damage prior to my Dec 1st winterization appointment.

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » November 20th, 2017, 10:42 am

The safest course would be to blow out the irrigation before freezing and use a hose and sprinkler if you need to water after that. I generally just time my winterizer to happen before rain. If it doesn't rain, I'll drag out the hose an sprinklers.

That being said, your backflow won't freeze during the first 28-30 degree night. The real question is, when will it freeze? When it hits 25 or 20? I don't know and it is expensive to replace. You also may not know it isn't working right until you have it tested.