Best Sprinkler For Large Areas

The place to discuss irrigation systems, sprinkers and watering
Bales9er
Grass Type: Lesco Double Eagle PR
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Best Sprinkler For Large Areas

Post by Bales9er » April 2nd, 2018, 2:22 pm

Looking for suggestions for above ground sprinklers (fairly priced) that cover the most area. I will be seeding my new construction lawn as soon as the weather turns here in MA and have 8,000 sq ft to cover out front and about 7,000 out back (see pic for odd shapes). I'd like not to set up 6-8 sprinklers on each portion if I can find a better solution that will still allow for good coverage.

STL
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Best Sprinkler For Large Areas

Post by STL » May 2nd, 2018, 12:07 pm

For oscillating, I like Melnor. They are adjustable for width and length and keep a useful rectangle pattern. I also have used one of those impact sprinklers where you can adjust the length at different parts of the rotation. They work decent.

Keep in mind that fewer sprinkler may be fine for keeping seed wet, but it may take longer and could be less effective from a coverage perspective to irrigate those areas after the turf is established.

As someone who also doesn't have in ground irrigation, I recommend looking into a couple 4 nozzle timers and setting up zones. Also consider using in ground type sprinkler heads on a stake that you can connect hoses to. Hunter PGP can be bought for around $8-$10 each and can be converted to in ground if you ever decide to do that. They're range is advertised as adjustable from around 20'-50'.

Babaganoosh
Grass Type: Tall fescue

Post by Babaganoosh » May 2nd, 2018, 4:19 pm

I'd recommend some tripods. For germination I like these wobbler heads that I got from the big sprinkler website. ( no affiliations) They are easier on bare soil and newly sown seed and won't disturb the ground as much as a oscillating or impact sprinklers will. After you have germination you can swap the heads back to impact if you want. I think big sprinkler sells tripods too but I didn't get mine there.

Bales9er

Post by Bales9er » May 3rd, 2018, 7:24 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up using the Rainbird heads on spikes with the Orbit timers from which I created 4 zones (2 sprinklers per zone). I had that setup at my old house too but I was worried it wasn't going to be enough to cover the larger area I now have but its doing just fine for now. Too bad you can't just bury the hoses to create a cheap alternative to a real irrigation system!

Babaganoosh

Post by Babaganoosh » May 3rd, 2018, 10:23 am

I'd get the hose off the ground with some spikes. Unless you are going to move the sprinklers every few days. I've made homemade ones with zip ties that worked decently.

Bales9er

Post by Bales9er » May 7th, 2018, 1:54 pm

How did you make the spikes? It's about time I do get the hoses off the ground now

Babaganoosh

Post by Babaganoosh » May 7th, 2018, 9:48 pm

I used some rebar I had lying around. Then 2 zip ties. Worked in a pinch. I'd probably look for something purposely made though.

RobRoy
Grass Type: TTF mix

Post by RobRoy » May 25th, 2018, 3:23 pm

I've been considering spikes to keep hoses off the grass and was thinking that the metal 'wire' that is used to keep insulation in place (16 inches, maybe 1/8 inch thick - 'dirt' cheap at hd/lowes), could easily bend in a vise and support a hose. Other than that amazon has decent looking ones that range between $3-$13.

Wors
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by Wors » June 4th, 2018, 6:18 am

My favorite sprinklers are the rainbird plastic impacts. They are cheap and work great. I had luck mounting them on spikes and an old nelson impact sprinkler base. Lowes sells them

Rain Bird 1/2-in 25-ft-41-ft Adjustable Impact Sprinkler