Green Thumb Impact Sprinklers don't rotate

The place to discuss irrigation systems, sprinkers and watering
schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Green Thumb Impact Sprinklers don't rotate

Post by schreibdave » August 9th, 2018, 5:57 am

I own about 15 of these of various ages and conditions. Several do not want to osciliate. They will rotate to a point and then they will get stuck. It seems to be more of a problem with the newer (2 yrs old) than with the older (10 yrs). Water pressure at my new house is a problem but I have a pump that gets me 60 psi in the house. Not sure what it is at the end of a long hose run - but it should be enough to operate a sprinkler. I only run one sprinkler at a time - usually on a timer.

Anyone have this problem and have a solution? Thanks

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Re: Green Thumb Impact Sprinklers don't rotate

Post by bpgreen » August 9th, 2018, 2:32 pm

I started having problems with in ground impact sprinklers a few years ago. The city gave an option for untreated and unmetered eater and most people got that. I think they then reduced pressure for the culinary water.

I ended up switching to gear drive sprinkler heads whenever I replace a head. I don't think I have any impact sprinklers remaining.

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Re: Green Thumb Impact Sprinklers don't rotate

Post by schreibdave » July 15th, 2019, 8:06 am

This is an old thread but in prep for my reno I thought I would raise it again. My Gilmour impact (hose end) sprinklers work great. My Green Thumbs require more pressure to work. At 42-44 psi the Green thumbs get stuck. A couple psi higher they work fine. The Gilmours are fine at 42-44. I dont know if low 40s is "low pressure" or not but I do know that the building code minimum is 30psi.

I would contact Green Thumb and see if they have a fix or want to swap them for me but they don't seem to have a web site. I would feel funny returning 2 yr old sprinklers to my local Ace Hardware where I bought them. Any thoughts?