The place to discuss irrigation systems, sprinkers and watering
flyingfish88
Grass Type: TTTF/PRG/FF
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Impact Sprinkler effectivness?

Post by flyingfish88 » September 2nd, 2018, 5:18 pm

Hi All,

My current irrigation 'system' is me running a couple impact sprinklers in the yard and moving them around to cover various areas.

I mainly focus on irrigation yearly when overseeding.

I never felt that the impacts did a great job. When setting them up to today to view coverage, I noticed that the far end of where the water reaches is just a handful of large drops and seems that that area will take forever to get anywhere close to damp. On the other hand, the area closest to the sprinkler seems to be over saturated.

Is this typical with impacts? what do you guys recommend? just moving them closer to overlap coverage more or going with a different sprinkler type?

thanks,
Dan

craigdt
Grass Type: Tall fescue
Level: Some Experience

Re: Impact Sprinkler effectivness?

Post by craigdt » October 10th, 2018, 10:30 pm

Im far from an irrigation expert, but your observations are generally why you want "head-to-head" coverage.

Preferably from several different heads: more than just 2.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Level: Advanced

Re: Impact Sprinkler effectivness?

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » January 8th, 2019, 3:20 pm

I am old enough that I have used every sprinkler there is...twice. The newer technology oscillator type sprinklers are far and away my preference for watering. They always apply even coverage over the area...as long as the wind is not blowing. The new style was called turbo for awhile, but now they are just oscillators. There are still some of the old mechanical linkage style oscillators out there, but I have seen those things break during the very first use. They are not reliable nor do they apply evenly. If it costs less than $15, it is probably not a turbo type. If you can see the mechanics of the adjuster, it's not a turbo. I have tried all the turbos and they all work about the same.

My problem with impact sprinklers is the water all shoots out to the perimeter leaving the inside of the circle dry. I know there are adjusters you can fiddle with, but I want something foolproof and simple. Oscillators work for me.