The place to discuss irrigation systems, sprinkers and watering
flyingfish88
Grass Type: TTTF/PRG/FF
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Forum recommended timer

Post by flyingfish88 » September 15th, 2018, 10:03 am

Hi All,

wondering if there is a recommended timer that most use here on the forum.

Was doing some recent testing with my sprinklers and believe I need 4 hoses (zones), each with 2 sprinklers attached. Each zone would be run individually. My water pressure seems to keep me limited to no more than 2 sprinklers on a zone and no more than 1 zone running at once.

Goal would be to run zone 1 for 10 minutes, turn off, then zone 2 for 10 minutes, then same for 3 and 4.

Lots of options online and some with mixed reviews, so wanted to see if there general consensus on one here.

thanks!

s3_buell_
Grass Type: TTTF, KBG
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: Forum recommended timer

Post by s3_buell_ » September 16th, 2018, 11:39 pm

I have had good results with both Melnor and Orbit and haven't tried other brands. Buy from a reputable retailer and keep your receipts. Test right away as all my timer failures have been right out of the box. I returned my bad ones for the same model and get years of use out all of those that work right to begin with. The latest Orbits have less than one day frequency settings which is great for growing from seed. I've also purchased at garage sales without any issue, but the firmware is old. The big box stores periodically have deep discounts on specific models, which sell out quickly.

flyingfish88
Grass Type: TTTF/PRG/FF
Level: Some Experience

Post by flyingfish88 » September 17th, 2018, 10:16 am

thank you, will take a look at those!

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Level: Advanced

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » January 8th, 2019, 3:27 pm

I have tried the $10 orbit mechanical timer and was disappointed. It never shuts off early, but sometimes it doesn't shut off at all. I have also tried a $50 Orbit programmable. It worked fine, but keeping hoses hooked up with my wife at home and me away prevented it from working at all. In looking for that model I do not see it, so apparently they have improved it and it looks different now.