Temporary Irrigation system

The place to discuss irrigation systems, sprinkers and watering
Alias-Dor
Grass Type: Fescue mix , Common Bermuda , Ryegrass
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Temporary Irrigation system

Post by Alias-Dor » August 18th, 2019, 11:52 pm

Is it possible to rig some PVC or Poly to a 4 way timer on the outside spigot ? I’m not doing a full blown irrigation system just a few pipes/tubs with 1-2 rotator heads on each outlet running at different times ( pressure not an issue). I have 8 outlets total with 4 on each side of the house . My original plan was to do this with garden hoses but I’m starting to think the pvc/poly might be more efficient and less messy . Everything will be on the perimeter of the house up against the concrete facing the lawn . Has anyone ever done something like this ? I know it’s a wild idea but I’m seeding 8/25 and have zero confidence in the coverage of the impact sprinklers that I’ve used in the past .

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Temporary Irrigation system

Post by schreibdave » August 19th, 2019, 9:56 am

Just finished this project 2 weeks ago in prep for my reno.

Srating from the hose bib here's what I have: Orbit timer, short length of garden hose, series of reducers, 1" poly irrigation pipe, 1/2 funny pipe, rainbird 5000 and 3500 series sprinkler heads. In a few cases I skipped the 1" poly and used garden hose directly to the funny pipe and then the sprinkler. In most cases I have one sprinkler on each zone. In 4 places I have 2 heads per zone.

Biggest challenge was burying the 1" poly. Second biggest challenge is sourcing all the connectors to go from garden hose to 1" poly. The pros don't do that so teh transitions are not easily available.

Most of my supplies came from Site One and from my hardware store. I would be happy to share more pics or explanation if you like.

I am very happy with the outcome.

schreibdave

Post by schreibdave » August 19th, 2019, 10:08 am

Two more pics

Alias-Dor
Grass Type: Fescue mix , Common Bermuda , Ryegrass
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Alias-Dor » August 20th, 2019, 12:18 pm

schreibdave wrote:
August 19th, 2019, 9:56 am
Just finished this project 2 weeks ago in prep for my reno.

Srating from the hose bib here's what I have: Orbit timer, short length of garden hose, series of reducers, 1" poly irrigation pipe, 1/2 funny pipe, rainbird 5000 and 3500 series sprinkler heads. In a few cases I skipped the 1" poly and used garden hose directly to the funny pipe and then the sprinkler. In most cases I have one sprinkler on each zone. In 4 places I have 2 heads per zone.

Biggest challenge was burying the 1" poly. Second biggest challenge is sourcing all the connectors to go from garden hose to 1" poly. The pros don't do that so teh transitions are not easily available.

Most of my supplies came from Site One and from my hardware store. I would be happy to share more pics or explanation if you like.

I am very happy with the outcome.

Wow !! Looks great . Im glad someone has already done this before . Im getting all the supplies tomorrow. I’m a little worried about getting all the right connections for hose to pipe and pipe to tube . How deep did you bury ?

schreibdave

Post by schreibdave » August 20th, 2019, 1:02 pm

All of my hose to pipe fittings came from the hardware store. I walked in with the 1" poly in one hand and a section of garden hose in the other and said "I need to connect these together." It took them awile but they figured it out.

In the picture below I circled a fitting that you DONT need. It's purpose was to allow me to spin the fitting so that I could tighten everything down. With a fixed piece above and below this combo of fittings something has to be able to spin in order for you to be able to spin the hose onto the fitting or timer. This is a "slip fitting." The reason you can do without it is because you will probably cut the end off your garden hose to make it shorter and use a male mending piece held by a hose clamp. So long as you leave that hose clamp loose until the very end the mending piece can spin inside of the hose. That slip fitting was prone to leak and they are $4 each.

The top of my poly pipe is maybe 3" below the surface. It was just too hard to get much deeper. Hopefully I will be able to blow enough water out of it that it doesnt freeze in winter.

Where are you getting your pipe and sprinklers? My local Site One (Lesco) was more expensive than on-line suppliers but they were pretty helpful and got a kick out of my frankenstein system.

Edit: I just wanted to mention that in a few places I fed the sprinkler head with just a garden hose. In those spots the hose could be hidden under the mulch. they aren't buried like the poly pipe is.