A few Irrigation questions

The place to discuss irrigation systems, sprinkers and watering
SportsCardsCollector
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

A few Irrigation questions

Post by SportsCardsCollector » September 4th, 2019, 3:54 am

Hey, my Meter coming off the street is 3/4" and it has a 3/4" PVC Pipe coming into my basement and from there, all of the upstairs sinks and toilets lines are ran to the upstairs.

My yard is about 1,900SF. My PSI from my basement outside water spigot is right at 45 PSI when I put my gauge on the spigot. I have done the 5-Gallon Bucket test several times to determine my GPM and it averages around 30 seconds to fill the bucket so that would indicate about 10 GPM from that basement outside water spigot. I'll probably only need maybe 2-3 Zones with like 4 Heads per Zone I'm guessing.

I want to tap on to the 3/4" PVC water line that's running through my basement to install a in-ground irrigation system.

Since the PVC line coming from the Meter is already 3/4", should I just keep it the same and just run all my main Zone lines through the yard with 3/4" PVC and just use 1/2" PVC T's to T-off to each Sprinkler Head (and use the Rain Bird 3504 - these have a 1/2" bottom Inlet)?
Or should I bump the PVC up to 1" at the point where I tap on at, to run all my main Zone lines through the yard and just use 3/4" PVC T's to T-off to each Sprinkler Head (and use the Rain Bird 5004 - these have a 3/4" bottom Inlet)?

Would I be better off to stick with PVC all the way or should I use the Black Poly Pipe? Is there a reason to choose one over the other. I have already sprayed Glyphosate over the whole yard and am nearing my Seed Down date soon so I was gonna rent a Trencher to dig all my lines this week.

One of the Zones will run probably close to 125FT through the yard and the last Sprinkler Head on that Zone will be at that 125FT mark. So I was wondering if I will still have enough PSI to get that last Sprinkler Head up?

Thank you.

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: A few Irrigation questions

Post by schreibdave » September 21st, 2019, 7:59 am

U probably have moved on but i'll share the little bit that i know. I assume by PVC u mean "pex?"

- when i did my diy Frankenstein/Rube Goldberg irrigation system i tapped into my 3/4 pex coming off the meter and ran that to several new spigots. Working with pex is cheap and easy. And if u have access to the ceiling in your basement it is easier to run pex inside than it is to run irrigation pipe outside.

- my source for irrigation supplies is Site One (previously Lesco) and the smallest poly irrigation pipe the sold was 1" so that's what i used. 1" to the sprinkler location then 1/2 funny pipe to the heads.

- the rainbird 3500 series sprinklers are much more expensive then the 5000 series. Like 3x at site one. So i would go with the 5000 series if the area is big enough to accept their longer reach.

Good luck and report back on what you did and how it worked.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » September 21st, 2019, 8:19 am

PVC and PEX are not the same thing.

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by schreibdave » September 21st, 2019, 10:40 pm

andy10917 wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 8:19 am
PVC and PEX are not the same thing.
I know but I'm not aware of a pvc product used for resedential water supply.