winter blowout

The place to discuss irrigation systems, sprinkers and watering
jeffstevens
Grass Type: none yet
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

winter blowout

Post by jeffstevens » November 9th, 2019, 8:35 pm

OK .. just installed the sprinkler system in time for winter and want to blow them out... the sprinklers are not popping up, some hiss, some bubble

I have a Mastercraft compressor apparently capable of 4.8 CFM at 40PSI and 3.5 CFM at 90 PSI...

I've read all manner of help and watched a number of youtubes… I understand that is not a big compressor but have seen guys using similar on youtube.

Ive got it set to 50 PSI

Im leaning toward it simply not being able to produce enough CFM but the importance of that is not 100% clear to me...

anyway here's my question... if my outlet gauge is reading 50 psi while my tank gauge is reading 125 psi and they are both holding why don't those heads pop up? .. isn't it the pressure that causes the force to pop them

I understand that I need to keep the air volume coming to compensate for what blows out the sprinklers, and I expected that if the compressor cant do it the tank pressure would drop below 50 and the outlet gauge with it and we would lose the fight...

Why do my sprinklers not pop with 50 PSI of air applied.. or am I perhaps flawed in thinking that because my outlet gauge is reading 50 PSI that everything upstream of that is at 50 PSI.. maybe I don't have 50 PSI at the sprinklers?

thanks in advance for the "patient" informed advice