Professionally installed in-ground irrigation system controller

The place to discuss irrigation systems, sprinkers and watering
southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Professionally installed in-ground irrigation system controller

Post by southern-ct-4 » June 4th, 2020, 11:43 am

Several years ago (or more) I had gotten a few estimates on in-ground irrigation. I recall that they all used various/different equipment and controllers, and I wanted to ask, before I go and get new estimates, is there anything in particular I should look for in terms of the controller, in that I'll want to hook it up (either via the installation company or myself later) to wifi so it can be controlled with an app/website? Something like this (just as a random example that I quickly found, if the time comes I"ll ask lots of other questions...) https://www.amazon.com/Rachio-8ZULWC-L- ... B084D4MVCN

I guess more simply put, will any controller that any of these companies install be compatible with a wifi controller, or do I need to be very careful about what they use?

Thank you.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Professionally installed in-ground irrigation system controller

Post by andy10917 » June 4th, 2020, 12:01 pm

I have the Rachio unit. It is excellent, and works over WiFi and even remotely via mobile phone etc. I can control it via Alexa too.

Not all controllers are WiFi controllers - there are many that are still mechanical. But that won't be where your expenses will be - there are laws in most states and municipalities that require fairly expensive backflow devices, etc to prevent the system from allowing the water from flowing back from your system into your house and your neighbors' homes. I installed all of my system myself, but it is not a project for the novice.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » June 4th, 2020, 12:05 pm

Thanks so much and yeah, not tackling it myself... I do recall the backflow device being expensive...

In any case, as/when I get new estimates I'll be sure to have lots of questions :)

Thanks again!

p.s. I look forward to telling Alexa to water my lawn one day ;)

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » June 11th, 2020, 9:23 am

I just located one of the estimates I had gotten a few years ago (actually it was 5 years ago), and they were going to use a Rain Bird LXME 8 Series Automatic Controller (of course these days they may use something different).

In any case, is that something that works with the Racchio, or do I tell the company I prefer to use a Racchio instead (in which case, does that possibly require any other changes to their setup)?

Thank you.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » June 11th, 2020, 10:26 am

I also just found the other 2 estimates, and they were both using a Hunter Pro-C station controller

DanielF
Grass Type: NoMix

Post by DanielF » June 11th, 2020, 10:24 pm

Racchio is the controller. There should not be any changes in the system. They wire up the same, just make sure you have a decent WiFi signal where the controller will be mounted. Me personally I have Rainbird ESP-ME with the Wifi Link

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » June 12th, 2020, 9:16 am

DanielF wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 10:24 pm
Racchio is the controller. There should not be any changes in the system. They wire up the same, just make sure you have a decent WiFi signal where the controller will be mounted. Me personally I have Rainbird ESP-ME with the Wifi Link
Sorry, to clarify, does the company install the Racchio instead of whatever they were going to install? And if so, is that something a company is normally willing to do? Or are they 'locked in' to whatever type they normally use and don't like to deviate? Obviously I'll ask the companies, just wanted to get more advice before doing so.

Riverpilot
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by Riverpilot » June 12th, 2020, 1:47 pm

In my area, professional companies don't/won't install Racchio. They stick to Hunter, Rainbird, or in a few cases Toro.
One of the big reasons are the majority of irrigation supply stores don't carry anything by Rachio. Another reason are the companies installing systems want to install products that they can maintain, control etc... If you want them to start up/shut down the system, they want to be able to have access to the system to run it etc..

But you can always ask them if they would do it.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » June 12th, 2020, 1:52 pm

Riverpilot wrote:
June 12th, 2020, 1:47 pm
In my area, professional companies don't/won't install Racchio. They stick to Hunter, Rainbird, or in a few cases Toro.
One of the big reasons are the majority of irrigation supply stores don't carry anything by Rachio. Another reason are the companies installing systems want to install products that they can maintain, control etc... If you want them to start up/shut down the system, they want to be able to have access to the system to run it etc..

But you can always ask them if they would do it.
Thank you. If they won't do it, is it easy enough to change out? And, if I do change it, do I then (generally speaking) run into issues with yearly maintenance, etc...?

Riverpilot
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by Riverpilot » June 12th, 2020, 3:06 pm

Depends on how comfortable you are with changing a few wires?
I would really just ask whatever companies you are looking at. They may be ok with it and have you buy it yourself and they'll install it, or...
The only issue I can forsee (there very well may be others), is when turning on the system at the beginning of the year, and blowing out the system in the fall. They normally like to be able to control the system when working with it. Unless you know you'll be home when they work on it, or if you plan on the start up and blowing out yourself?

I personally start the system up myself every year, and then have the company come in and blow it out in the fall.

Is there a reason you're set on Rachio? I know they're popular around here, but Hunter and Rainbird have similar items.
The Hunter hydrawise that I have works great. Wifi, use on your phone, tablet, computer, etc.. also, at least in my area, all the companies support it 100%.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » June 12th, 2020, 3:29 pm

Thanks and no, not set on the racchio, just using that as an example. I'll check with the companies and see what they say. Thank you again!