Swapping out PGP for MP rotators

The place to discuss irrigation systems, sprinkers and watering
TyWebb
Grass Type: Mix (Fescue/KBG)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Swapping out PGP for MP rotators

Post by TyWebb » June 10th, 2020, 4:40 pm

I have an older system that is mostly PGP heads and some Rain Bird sprays for the bushes. The curb line zone along part of the property needs some updating. One head is broken and just spouts water, another leaks. Two other heads have shifted over time in the ground so when they rotate they shoot high up in the air on one end then low to the ground on the other side. So I have to dig them up and reset them vertically.

I am wondering if I should use this opportunity to just redo the heads and maybe consider MP rotators. I attached a drawing of the property if that helps. The blue dots are the heads I am talking about. Just for reference sake, I put to other zones on map to give you an idea of how the zones work together (red squares and green triangles). Obviously not to scale, LOL and the heads are pretty uniform distance from one another.

Some additional information:

- The blue heads are approx. 37-38 feet apart. The blue heads from the closest red square heads are around 30-35 feet.
- System is supplied by a 1 inch service line and these heads are connected via 1/2 poly pipe individually.
- System has a PSI around 60-65 (tested) at the back flow valve
- GPM is approximately 14.
- The curb line is clearly irregularly shaped, so there is over spray for sure to make sure all the grass gets covered.
- There is likely a better way to do this by revamping the whole system. I had a Rain Bird vendor propose a new system and it went from my current 7 zones to 14 and the price was astronomical. I am looking just to spruce up the system without a total gut job.

I am not sure I could even simply swap out the PGP for MPs given the distances. I would likely have to add a head or two beyond the 5 on the current system to make it work. So maybe I am just better off just sticking with the PGPs, getting them aligned properly (and right nozzles - I think they are 3.0 red but I am not positive).

TyWebb
Grass Type: Mix (Fescue/KBG)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Swapping out PGP for MP rotators

Post by TyWebb » June 10th, 2020, 8:40 pm

I apologize, as it appears the picture didn't download. Here's another attempt.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Re: Swapping out PGP for MP rotators

Post by northeastlawn » June 11th, 2020, 8:06 am

I just used MP Rotators in my small back yard system. They seem to work pretty good, but did wish I did a few things different...

1.) If your in-between a MP2000 and full range and a MP3000 at 25%, go for the MP3000 and turn it down, distance ratings always seem to be less

2.) MP1000 looks good on paper, but are terrible and hard to adjust, the MP2000 throw almost teh same distance, use the minimum of a MP2000 turned down over a MP1000

3.) Lastly in trying to get head to head coverage, try to over shoot your heads, as opposed to just reaching them

You end up using a lot of MP Rotators, but the seem to work very well, you just have under estimate their throw distances