The place to discuss irrigation systems, sprinkers and watering
dantis496
Grass Type: Front: Northern Mix Back: Elite KBG Blend
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Which I20 Nozzle is most common?

Post by dantis496 » September 15th, 2020, 10:15 am

Hi All,

I am replacing a few heads and wondering which nozzle is most common for the Hunter I20. The heads I am replacing are very old and the nozzle is not the same. I was thinking a #2, but looking for feedback. Typical radius of about 15-20', some overlap with other zones. New England area.

Thank you

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Which I20 Nozzle is most common?

Post by ken-n-nancy » September 15th, 2020, 11:03 am

I'm not entirely sure I understand the question - you have some old I-20 which have nozzles in them, but they don't have a numerical code on them to identify their size?

You're trying to match a new nozzle to the old ones to get about the same performance?

If so, I'd suggest taking the old nozzle out and comparing the size of the orifice to the size of the various nozzles on the rack of the replacement head.

The "most common" size varies a lot depending upon the GPM of the system. In our system, which is from a well with only about 6-7GPM output, we use nothing bigger than a 1.5 in an I-20, which is the *smallest* size for an I-20. However, usually the I-20 is used in much larger installations, where much larger nozzles are common, but where there may be 20-25GPM available.

You can also look at the nozzle spec sheets from the Hunter site.

Ultimately, since the nozzles come in a "nozzle tree" with multiple sizes, you can try a few different ones until you get the desired range and volume for even watering.

Riverpilot
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: Which I20 Nozzle is most common?

Post by Riverpilot » September 15th, 2020, 10:18 pm

The I-20 does have "matched precipitation" nozzles as well. SR (short radius) Black, which can be as low as .36gpm (depending on water pressure). Then the regular "matched precipitation" nozzles, Red, Light Green and Beige.
I personally use the Red and Beige in my system, along with the normal Blue nozzles in a few spots.