Where did the water go?

The place to discuss irrigation systems, sprinkers and watering
lidocaine
Grass Type: bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Where did the water go?

Post by lidocaine » November 2nd, 2020, 2:28 pm

My yard was ever so green with Yukon bermuda when during the end ofsummer I noticed that a dry spot was developing. I turned the sprinklers on to see it watering away and while hanging out I notice that about 4-5 minutes into the full blasting watering the flow diminishes to the point that the sprinkler heads sink back but water is trickling out. I have 3 zones in the backyard, the other two are working normally. Could this be some blockage in the pipes? Any suggestions to addressing this is greatly appreciated.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Re: Where did the water go?

Post by turf_toes » November 2nd, 2020, 6:41 pm

You’ve either got a water pressure issue or you’ve got a leak in your system.

If you’re on a well, I’d suspect that’s where your problem is. If you initially have pressure, but then you don’t, that’s probably the issue. I’d suggest using the smallest nozzle in each of your heads. But you just might not have adequate pressure, even on a municipal or private water system.

For a leak, here’s what I do.

I’ll run that zone for several hours. Eventually you’ll see a grass volcano that gets lifted up near where you have the leak. The water lifts the grass up.

If you walk on it, you’ll sink in.

After that, you can decide if you want to fix it yourself or hire the work out.

But again, based on your description, I don’t think you are dealing with a leak.

lidocaine
Grass Type: bermuda

Post by lidocaine » November 2nd, 2020, 8:14 pm

There is no well. Just on municipal water. Sprinkler runs at maximum flow for a 4-5 minutes then slows.

Is it even possible that debris could have gotten in the system?

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » November 2nd, 2020, 10:02 pm

You’d be in a better position to answer that question. It really depends on how your system is set up.