Can’t get irrigation to turn back on

The place to discuss irrigation systems, sprinkers and watering
sp-mac
Grass Type: Kentucky Blue Grass
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Can’t get irrigation to turn back on

Post by sp-mac » May 31st, 2021, 4:14 pm

We bought our house last year just before winter. First time owning a home with a well and irrigation system. Had a local company come and blow out the system, unfortunately I was not home when they did. We bought the house from an older lady whose husband had died, and she didn’t know how the water system for the property worked. The company that winterized lost most of their employees to unemployment, including the tech that serviced our system. So I’m working in the dark here.

The pick below shows the irrigation box beside the well. I took apart the electric valve to make sure it was working, there is water in the line but no pressure. I thought the manual valve pictures might be the main shit off to the house, obviously not, I opened it while I had the electric valve apart, still no pressure and closing it does nothing to the house water. The house shit off must just be the valve in the basement. I then found a long below grade valve tool buried in the garage, stuck it down the 2” pvc pictured with a cap and found that there is a valve about 4’ down. I can feel the tool grab it. Problem is it won’t turn. I’ve sprayed WD40 and break free down there and applied as much force as I can, tried going both ways. No movement. So there’s the problem. I figure that valve has to be the main irrigation shut off, but can’t turn it. None of our neighbors are sure their systems are different. I really really don’t want to dig it up but can’t think of anything else to do.

Sorry for the long description but I’m at a loss here so any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Can’t get irrigation to turn back on

Post by MorpheusPA » May 31st, 2021, 9:53 pm

White lithium might work, particularly if you let it sit for a bit to work into the valve. But I'm sure others will have better ideas.

Beware twisting too hard, old metal can break...

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » May 31st, 2021, 11:02 pm

There may be another valve. I think my system had three (one outside and two inside).

sp-mac
Grass Type: Kentucky Blue Grass
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Can’t get irrigation to turn back on PROBLEM FIXED

Post by sp-mac » June 1st, 2021, 3:40 pm

Thanks for the input. It was the right valve, just very stuck. I sprayed WD40 and break free down there a few times over a couple days, then found a neighbor with a much more stout valve tool and he and wrenched together to get it to turn. He said he has the same problem every few years. If anyone has any tricks for helping prevent this, I'm all ears. But the valve is about 4 feet down so I'm not sure there is a good answer there. In the mean time, sprinklers are on. Thanks guys.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » June 1st, 2021, 5:43 pm

Keep the valve well-oiled (WD40 really isn't very good, but WL products are). It'll help avoid valve freeze.

WD40 can be used to temporarily drive off water, but...it fades fast.