Pop-up

The place to discuss irrigation systems, sprinkers and watering
marktrot1
Grass Type: Appalachian/Arc/Volt KBG, Western Wheatgrass
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Pop-up

Post by marktrot1 » July 5th, 2012, 10:07 am

I have two Orbit 4" adjustable Pop-ups that are very slow and noisy when popping up. Unfortunately I purchased these sprinklers instead of more K-Rain pop-ups like I have elsewhere. Of course now, K-Rain sprinklers are not sold locally...

Any idea why they are so slow to pop up versus the K-rains which are fast and spray nicely? Should I just replace them with Hunter or RainBird pop-ups? I don't think flushing them out will help.

Thanks,
Mark

SW315
Grass Type: Front Yard: Bewitched, America and Beyond United Seed Super Turf 1 overseed 9/2017 / Back yard: TTTF Mutt

Re: Pop-up

Post by SW315 » July 5th, 2012, 10:11 am

I would check for debris where the heads screw in.

At work I had to dig up 4 feet back from a head to the 1" lateral line due to debris at the fittings that connected to the head and to the lateral line

eriocaulon
Grass Type: KBG(midnight/moonlight), TTTF (summerlawn), RSBG (Winterplex, SabreIII)

Post by eriocaulon » July 5th, 2012, 10:34 am

Do these two popups see lower water pressure? ie. longer distances of pipe can really lower pressure. I guess it also doesn't hurt to swap one out to see if another brand works better. I myself order a bunch of different Hunter rotors/sprays for when I need to replace them.

Michael Wise
Grass Type: Tifway 419

Post by Michael Wise » July 5th, 2012, 10:56 am

Do the K Rain heads you are use to have a drain check valve, and these orbits don't?

Without the check valve you could be experiencing low head drainage through the orbits and then have all the noise and slowness as that zone starts up.

Just a guess.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » July 5th, 2012, 11:58 am

Are they impact or gear drive? I used to use impact sprinklers, but have been switching to gear drive as the impact heads need to be replaced. They're much quieter and they'll work with lower pressure when the impact sprinklers won't.

marktrot1

Post by marktrot1 » July 5th, 2012, 10:13 pm

No. The k rains dont have a check valve. The two orbits are down a lateral from a row of k rains. I think the 90° elbow forces the water to bypass the lateral. Once the pressure builds up they operate fine.

I will probably just run them until they die and replace them with rain bird or hunter. I am operating 4 heads per zone and am at the limit of my pressure and gpm with 3/4 pipe. I am sure that plays a major role as well.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

marktrot1

Post by marktrot1 » July 6th, 2012, 8:56 pm

As a test I dug up the Orbit and installed a Hunter body with a Mr. Rotator Head. It performed better than the Orbit. I then put the Orbit head onto the Hunter Body and it performed equally well. As I suspected, the Orbit body was the problem.

The Hunter body had a nice tight spring and pop-up, while the Orbit had a lot of play when it was out. The Orbit tended to leak a bunch of water from around the pop-up until it fully extended. The K Rain and Hunters do not do that. Since both of my Orbits do this, I will likely change out the other body also.

The Orbits will be great for use in a flower bed or other location. Not my newly seeded lawn where they were flooding everything until they could get going....