Summertime Spirits Fun (Moonshine)

The place to share culinary tips and advice
andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Summertime Spirits Fun (Moonshine)

Post by andy10917 » July 8th, 2013, 11:16 pm

Out here at the Beach, life gets a little (OK, a lot!) less formal in Summer Vacation Time. So, today we decided to push away the good Scotch and other great stuff, and try the first federally-OK'ed Moonshine. We tried Ole Smoky Tennessee Moonshine (around $25, 750ml).

Well, it was fun. Instead of the polished, refined stuff, the first taste was surprisingly OK. For 5 seconds. Then I felt as if I had been kicked by a mule. I think I danced a jig, a hula dance and then the polka all within the next 10 seconds.

But I'll tell you something - it was a hell of a lot of fun. If you ever try it, don't bother glasses and stuff - part of the fun is passing around the Mason Jar with friends. After a small adjustment, it really was enjoyable (that's code for "pass the jar back this way").

Anyone else play with the Moonshine?

Chad
Grass Type: I do not know
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Summertime Spirits Fun (Moonshine)

Post by Chad » July 9th, 2013, 12:56 pm

andy10917 wrote:Out here at the Beach, life gets a little (OK, a lot!) less formal in Summer Vacation Time. So, today we decided to push away the good Scotch and other great stuff, and try the first federally-OK'ed Moonshine. We tried Ole Smoky Tennessee Moonshine (around $25, 750ml).

Well, it was fun. Instead of the polished, refined stuff, the first taste was surprisingly OK. For 5 seconds. Then I felt as if I had been kicked by a mule. I think I danced a jig, a hula dance and then the polka all within the next 10 seconds.

But I'll tell you something - it was a hell of a lot of fun. If you ever try it, don't bother glasses and stuff - part of the fun is passing around the Mason Jar with friends. After a small adjustment, it really was enjoyable (that's code for "pass the jar back this way").

Anyone else play with the Moonshine?
Regularly! I lived in Tennessee for several years and it is very abundant. Both the "OK'ed" kind and "not so OK'ed". If you find a good maker that stuff is smooth and of course, extremely potent. I prefer the original unflavored white lightning myself, but most prefer to have it flavored with fruit.

And yes, passing the mason jar around in a circle by a camp fire is half the fun! Oddest flavor I ever had was apple pie. Freaked me out a little bit!

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

paulr
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by paulr » July 9th, 2013, 12:59 pm

My liver seriously hurts just reading this.

Jmac30
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by Jmac30 » July 9th, 2013, 5:53 pm

The not ok'd kind is fairly abundant down here. Usually completely clear, occasionally with a purple haze. Never hurt my liver, just my head.

JustAGuy
Grass Type: NoMix

Post by JustAGuy » July 11th, 2013, 4:46 pm

This is funny, my wife and I bought some of the same stuff few weekends ago. The wife wimped out so we also got the cinnamon apple. I'm not a real hard liquor guy so I need to chase it. Yes, I know this stuff is tame compared to the non-okayed stuff.
Last edited by JustAGuy on July 30th, 2013, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McLovin
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Novice

Post by McLovin » July 30th, 2013, 12:48 pm

We keep some in the freezer at all times.

texasweed

Post by texasweed » July 30th, 2013, 4:37 pm

Well I quit drinking many years ago as I am an alcoholic, but I never liked Moonshine mostly because it taste terrible, but mostly because you do not know what it is made from. Moonshiners will use just about anything they can get their hands on.

Technically the difference between moonshine and whiskey is one illegal and the other is legal. But it really goes deeper than that. To be called American Bourbon Whiskey it has to be made from 55% or greater from corn and malted barley. Scotch is made from barley (either malted or not), Canadian from a blend of anything, and of course Rye Whiskey is made only from rye. Moonshine who the heck knows and if it is purple haze colored you shouldn't be drinking it. Just ask Jimmy when you get to heaven....

laadams85
Grass Type: TF, KBG, Rye grass

Post by laadams85 » July 30th, 2013, 9:47 pm

Just remember that it's illegal just because. There is no reason they shouldn't also make home made spirits legal when beer and wine are.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » September 29th, 2013, 8:03 pm

Ahhhhhhh - the alcohol tax......

There was a day when taxing our favorite spirit would incite riots.

Didn't take long for us to also hand over a percentage of our income, pay rent in the form of taxes for property we own, and accept an imbalanced taxation system full of special ways to avoid them. But, I digress.....

SW315
Grass Type: Front Yard: Bewitched, America and Beyond United Seed Super Turf 1 overseed 9/2017 / Back yard: TTTF Mutt

Post by SW315 » September 29th, 2013, 11:16 pm

texasweed wrote:Well I quit drinking many years ago as I am an alcoholic, but I never liked Moonshine mostly because it taste terrible, but mostly because you do not know what it is made from. Moonshiners will use just about anything they can get their hands on.

Technically the difference between moonshine and whiskey is one illegal and the other is legal. But it really goes deeper than that. To be called American Bourbon Whiskey it has to be made from 55% or greater from corn and malted barley. Scotch is made from barley (either malted or not), Canadian from a blend of anything, and of course Rye Whiskey is made only from rye. Moonshine who the heck knows and if it is purple haze colored you shouldn't be drinking it. Just ask Jimmy when you get to heaven....
Just ask Jimmy. Love it!

That line not the shine.

kevreh
Grass Type: Front Yard: 2013 TTTF reno (faith, cochise, turbo, ls1200), Back: 2013 KBG reno (bewitched, midnight, prosperity)

Post by kevreh » July 12th, 2014, 10:40 pm

I tried a bunch of the flavored moonshines at the ole smokey store and distillery in gatlinberg, tn. They give you samples. The apple pie and cherry were my favorites.

[ Post made via Android ] Image