TW's Favorite Burger Recipes

The place to share culinary tips and advice
texasweed

TW's Favorite Burger Recipes

Post by texasweed » May 30th, 2014, 1:09 pm

OK summer cookout season is here and I thought I would share some of my favorite burger recipes. Food Police get lost because you will not like this one little bit. Common to all good burgers starts with good ground beef. If you have to buy your hamburger from the grocery store use 80/20 ground chuck. Anything leaner will be dry burgers, and anything less will shrink too much, be greasy, and hard to control fire on the grill.

OK first on the line up I have to give credit to Andy one of our moderators. He unknowingly helped me perfected this recipe. Last April I took a trip to NYC and Andy gave me a tip where to get the best Jewish BBQ (aka Pastrami). Andy directed me to Carnegie Deli to try their Pastrami. I was so impressed I bought two whole Pastrami Briskets, plopped them in an ice chest packed with dry ice, and brought them home. So first up is a Pastrami Cheese Burger. The burger can be fixed out on the grill, but the Pastrami has to be grilled in a skillet or flat top like bacon

Yankee Burger in honor of Andy

Ingredients

• 1/3 to 1/2 pound hamburger patties.
• 1/4 pound paper thin slices of Pastrami.
• Hamburger Buns or Kaiser Rolls
• Sliced Swiss or Gruyere Cheese. Or whatever you like
• Russian or Thousand Island Dressing. Or whatever you prefer like Mayo or Mustard.
• Lettuce, Tomato, and Kosher Dill Pickle Slices as desired.
• S&P to taste

Method

On a medium hot lightly greased skillet pile on the Pastrami and use a bacon press. Fry till crispy like bacon on first side, flip over with weight and fry crisp on second side. In the meantime in another medium hot skillet, flat top, or grill plop the patties down first side adding S&P and cook till ready to flip. Now place the fried up Pastrami on top of the burger after flipping. Top the Pastrami with cheese, squirt some water or beer around the patty, cover with a steel bowl or inverted pan to capture the steam and melt the cheese. Finish by building your burger on a toasted bun or roll, and dress it up the way you like. For me I slather on Russian dressing, Lettuce, Tomato, and Pickle.

OKIE Onion Burger

Ingredients

• 1/3 to 1/2 pound Hamburger Patties
• 1 Whole Vidalia or TX Sweet Onion Per Burger, plus one to dice finely
• Butter
• 1 Tablespoon of good quality Balsamic Vinegar
• Buns or Kaiser Rolls
• Cheddar or American sliced cheese
• Whatever toppings and dressing you like.

Method

Take onion and slice into thin rings and separate. Take another onion and dice finely and set aside for latter. Heat up a skillet or pan on medium low heat and melt butter in the skillet. Add sliced onion rings into skillet with butter and add salt and pepper. Sauté onion slowly covered and stir occasionally until they are a rich deep mahogany brown and caramelized. Be patient as it takes up to 1 hour. Once the onions are caramelized, stir in Balsamic vinegar, reduce slightly, remove from heat, and set aside. You are looking to make the onion like a fruit jam or preserves. It will be a sweet gooey very soft onions just like you would prepare for French Onion soup.

Next form your patties, and take a couple of Table Spoons of the raw diced onion and press into the patties on one side only. Grill patties on the grill or skillet starting onion side down until nice a golden brown, flip, place cheese on patty, spray some water or beer around burger and cover with inverted pan to melt the cheese. Assemble burger on toasted bun and a good size pile of caramelized onions. Dress and toppings as desired. I like mustard and pickles to balance the sweet onion jam.

TW Heart Burn Special

Last up is my very own recipe that I have borrowed from the 3 best burgers I have ever eaten around the country. Mostly from Tulsa OK (Ron’s & Goldies) and a dive in TX. Last warning Food Police, get lost because this one will really piss you off. What follows is enough to make about 4 to 6 hamburgers.

Ingredients

• 1-Pound Roll of either Greers sausage (OK residents only). Outside of OK use either Jimmy Dean or Owens regular sausage.
• 1-Pound of 80/20 Ground Chuck Beef, or if you are counting calories Buffalo also works.
• 1 Pablano per Burger, or if in season 2 Big Jim Hatch Green Chili Peppers per burger. (Big Jims can be moderately hot)
• 1 Egg per burger
• Pepper Jack, or a Good Colby Cheddar Cheese Slices
• Lettuce, Tomato, Kosher Slice Dills, Mustard or Mayo
• Kaiser Rolls or Large Hamburger Buns

Method

OK there are a few steps that take time but well worth it. First roast Chili Peppers either on the grill, under a broiler, or on top of stove with gas burners. You want a nice char on the Pepper skins. Place Pepper in a paper bag to cool and steam for about 10 to 15 minutes to loosen up the skin and cool to handle. When cool remove charred skin, split open lengthwise to butterfly, remove seeds, white membrane, and stem. Lay flat on a plate and set aside for latter.

In a bowl combine Sausage and Hamburger meat with about 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of black ground pepper. Make 4 to 6 patties.
Get grill medium hot and plop the burgers down. With sausage in them have a squirt bottle of water ready to put out any flare ups. When first side is done flip the burgers and cook about 1 minute. Now place 1 Roasted Pepper on top of burger followed by a slice of Cheese. Close grill cover to finnish cooking burger and melt the cheese.

While burgers are cooking take the eggs and fry them over easy and have ready when burgers come off the grill. You want the yolks soft and runny, so either over easy or sunny side up. I use bacon grease to fry them.

Assembly time. Place cooked burger on a toasted bottom Roll or Bun. Place fried egg on top of burger and pop the yolk. As quickly as possible add any topping you like followed up with top bun slathered with mustard or whatever you like. For this one I like a nice pungent whole grain Chipotle Mustard.

ENJOY

TW

Alan
Grass Type: St. Aug, but converting to Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: TW's Favorite Burger Recipes

Post by Alan » May 30th, 2014, 1:19 pm

Yum to all of those.

ericgautier
Grass Type: Front/Sides: Blueberry Monostand Back: TTTF+KBG

Post by ericgautier » May 30th, 2014, 1:22 pm

Just had a burger for lunch actually and it was delicious. I don't know the recipe, but it was a: Bacon Royal Burger: Topped with a Fried Egg, Crisp Bacon, American & Cheddar Cheese, Lettuce, Tomato & Mayo on a Fresh Baked Deli Bun. Some others on the menu - http://25burgers.com/menu/boundbrook.pdf

txlawnrookie
Grass Type: St Augustine back/bermuda front

Post by txlawnrookie » May 30th, 2014, 7:25 pm

My go to burger is 80/20 with lowerys signature steak house marinade mixed in. Taste is just frigging great for the amount of work (lack of) top with some swiss and bacon and hope you have room for another

[ Post made via Android ] Image