Regional Idiosyncrasies

The place to share culinary tips and advice
nclawnguy
Grass Type: tttf
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Regional Idiosyncrasies

Post by nclawnguy » March 4th, 2015, 7:12 pm

crabgrass wrote:I grew up in Connecticut (west of the CT river, which is the general dividing line between NY/Boston, Giants/Pats, Yankees/Red Sox. My brother moved to Boston and inexplicably became a Red Sox fan. We debated salary cap at one point. He said, "Jim, rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for... Microsoft or Exxon". I replied, "Tom, then that means that rooting for the Red Sox is like rooting for Oracle or Shell".
From CT as well and my brother became a Sox fan and later a pats fan (he grew up a skins fan) after marrying a sox fan and moving to MA. Don't get it, I could never switch team alliances. I'm Yanks, Giants and Uconn basketball, Notre Dame football.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » March 4th, 2015, 7:49 pm

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » March 4th, 2015, 10:11 pm

I'm in Indy right now, and I had lunch at a place that brought me a spoon for mashed potatoes. I was like "what's this for, and can I get a fork please?". The waitress looked at me like I was clueless. Is that an Indy thing?

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » March 4th, 2015, 10:21 pm

andy10917 wrote:I'm in Indy right now, and I had lunch at a place that brought me a spoon for mashed potatoes. I was like "what's this for, and can I get a fork please?". The waitress looked at me like I was clueless. Is that an Indy thing?
Mashed potaties with a fork??? I don't think so. I never eat them with a spoon - I would have asked for a fork too.

Where was it?? WEIRD

And welcome to the Hoosier state :good:

for good grass downtown check out victory field - minor league sports turf manager of the year - or ELI Lilly's soccer field inside their campus....

oze
Grass Type: Northern mix transitioning to Regenerating Perennial Ryegrass
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Post by oze » March 5th, 2015, 7:59 am

andy10917 wrote:I'm in Indy right now, and I had lunch at a place that brought me a spoon for mashed potatoes. I was like "what's this for, and can I get a fork please?". The waitress looked at me like I was clueless. Is that an Indy thing?
C'mon, everyone knows you eat mashed potatoes with a spork!

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » May 30th, 2015, 1:22 am

I think some of the Hoosiers here are confusing midwest and Indiana. I grew up in Illinois and Iowa and pork tenderloins and euchre are both very common in those two states.

As for regional idiosyncrasies, I doubt if you'll find fry sauce (usually something similar to catsup/ketchup and mayonnaise, but every restaurant has its own recipe) outside the Intermountain west, but even McDonald's has it here.

oze

Post by oze » May 30th, 2015, 3:54 pm

I remember "fry sauce" from my time in Salt Lake City. :) It did taste like ketchup and mayo blended together. I imported the idea to my midwestern kids, who were not big on it. But they did subsequently try a 50/50 mix of ketchup and ranch dressing, which now is the current dip of choice for both of them.

Mightyquinn
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway 419 Monostand
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Mightyquinn » May 30th, 2015, 6:11 pm

I don't think it's a regional thing but I love sour cream with my fries!!! I picked it up when I was working at Ponderosa as a kid. I don't usually use ketchup since when I was stationed in Germany you had to pay extra for it at McDonald's.

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

dfw_pilot
Grass Type: U3 Bermuda

Mayo Fries

Post by dfw_pilot » May 30th, 2015, 6:15 pm

Mightyquinn wrote:I love sour cream with my fries!!!
I'm a mustard with fries guy, but when I lived in Indiana, I learned about Mayo with fries - love it! Just have a treadmill nearby.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 30th, 2015, 6:43 pm

ndlutz
Grass Type: Midnight/Bewitched/Prosperity KBG Front, Northern Mix Back
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by ndlutz » July 9th, 2015, 11:24 pm

I'm a big fan of scrapple. Obviously a delicacy here in NEPA - and yes that means northeastern Pennsylvania.

In Pittsburgh, they put fries on everything. When you order a salad, it literally comes with french fries on it. I developed a taste for Primanti's when I was out there. Just don't get the Pittsburgher Cheesesteak. It's mystery meat. A lot of visitors didn't really like Primanti's but you have to do it once. The oily coleslaw was pretty good.

I agree - no ketchup on hot dogs. We eat NY style pizza here and have pretty good pizza all in all. Once you get out to Pittsburgh forget about it.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both

Re: Mayo Fries

Post by bpgreen » July 10th, 2015, 1:37 am

dfw_pilot wrote:
Mightyquinn wrote:I love sour cream with my fries!!!
I'm a mustard with fries guy, but when I lived in Indiana, I learned about Mayo with fries - love it! Just have a treadmill nearby.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
When I was in college, I had a friend who like mustard on his fries. He got me to try it and I discovered that I kind of like it.

He also liked peanut butter on cheeseburgers, and whenever we made popcorn, he'd make sure we made too much to eat (not an easy task when college students are involved) so he could have some for breakfast with milk and sugar.

He never converted me to either of those.

dfw_pilot
Grass Type: U3 Bermuda

XXX

Post by dfw_pilot » July 10th, 2015, 1:43 am

bpgreen wrote:He also liked peanut butter on cheeseburgers
If you are ever near the Purdue campus and want to try a great burger with peanut butter on it, stop in at the Triple XXX . . .

bpgreen

Post by bpgreen » July 10th, 2015, 1:46 am

And speaking of fries, has anybody had poutine (not to be confused with poitin)? I think it's a French Canadian thing that has spread throughout Canada and into some parts of the US.

OldGlory
Grass Type: Carl Spackler Hybred: KBG; Featherbed Bent; Northern California Sensemilia

Post by OldGlory » July 13th, 2015, 9:54 am

poutine is great especially after a day of skiing. I went to school in Vermont and loved the gravy fries at Nectars. They are a rite of passage and amazing at 2:00 am after the bars close.

oze

Post by oze » July 13th, 2015, 12:18 pm

OldGlory wrote:poutine is great especially after a day of skiing. I went to school in Vermont and loved the gravy fries at Nectars. They are a rite of passage and amazing at 2:00 am after the bars close.
I've found that pretty much any food is amazing at 2:00 AM after the bars close; Waffle House, White Castle, Taco John's in Indiana Harbor...At that hour and state of being, my only qualification for a restaurant to be rated 5 stars was to be open. :rotfl:

mattya
Grass Type: Bewitched, Prosperity, Moonlight SLT

Post by mattya » July 13th, 2015, 12:31 pm

Linguica pizza and coffee milk are 2 common things around SE Mass/Rhode Island that most people haven't heard of elsewhere.

I also agree with OldGlory - White chowder and thin crust pizza.

Mightyquinn
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway 419 Monostand

Post by Mightyquinn » August 1st, 2015, 8:21 pm

mattya wrote:Linguica pizza and coffee milk are 2 common things around SE Mass/Rhode Island that most people haven't heard of elsewhere.

I also agree with OldGlory - White chowder and thin crust pizza.
I totally forgot about Coffee Milk, I used to work with a guy from RI that would just rave about it, he would have his family send him some when we were in Iraq.

Anyone ever heard of Bojangles chicken and biscuits? I eat there all the time for breakfast when I'm out as they have some of the best biscuits around and I love their Legendary Sweet Tea!!! Oh, and don't forget the BoRounds.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by ken-n-nancy » August 1st, 2015, 9:46 pm

andy10917 wrote:The waitress looked at me like I was clueless. Is that an Indy thing?
No, I've had waitresses look at me like I was clueless just about anywhere I've been...

;)

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 1st, 2015, 9:48 pm

I spent time in Rhode Island and Massachusetts several years ago on a project. My kids love coffee milk!! I bought a big case of it.