GrillGrates

The place to share culinary tips and advice
Ware
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

GrillGrates

Post by Ware » June 17th, 2015, 11:12 pm

You can't beat grilling on charcoal, but with a job, a one year old and grad school, my Weber gas grill is great for those quick weeknight cooks. Mine is a Genesis E-330 with cast iron grates.

I'm a huge proponent of the cast iron grates - food doesn't stick, they are easy to clean, etc. With that said, for a few years now I've been really intrigued by GrillGrates. On the surface, they sound, and even look kind of gimmicky, but it's hard to find many bad reviews about them. Most of the ones you do see are people who clearly didn't follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

In short, I've never disliked my cast irons enough to give GrillGrates a try, but a good friend recently gave me gift card to help offset the purchase of a set. I ordered a full set of (5) for my Weber, plus the GrateGriddle. They arrived today. It was a busy evening and the remnants of tropical storm Bill are making there way here, but I was anxious to give them a try. Per the instructions, I put a thin coat of oil on them and heated them up for some cheeseburgers. I also whipped up a homemade mac and cheese recipe I've been wanting to try. I couldn't let the GrateGriddle feel left out, so I decided to make these bacon cheeseburgers... with a few extra slices to snack on. :D

The first cook went pretty smooth. My expectations were low because they say they require some seasoning to become truly nonstick, but they did fine - similar to cast iron, you just have to wait for the meat to release before you attempt to turn it. The grill marks are first class, and the design does a great job of preventing flare-ups. My wife was extremely pleased because we rarely cook bacon in the house. :D

This is a quick post, but I will try to report back here as I continue to use them. And if you're a fan of GrillGrates (or even if you aren't), feel free to share your experiences in this thread.

Last edited by Ware on August 11th, 2015, 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

SACole
Grass Type: Bermuda and Empire Zoysia

Re: GrillGrates

Post by SACole » June 18th, 2015, 2:05 am

I have been intrigued by these as well. I might give them a shot.

My grill has two grates that split it in the middle. I considered doing half with the grill grates and half original. I admit I like a little char on my steak. I usually put a piece of bacon near mine while searing just to get a crispy edge without having to break out the cast iron skillet.

I am glad you shared your experience though. I know DFW will chime in here shortly. His posts led me to research these.

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

dfw_pilot
Grass Type: U3 Bermuda

GrateGriddle

Post by dfw_pilot » June 18th, 2015, 4:01 am

Ware, congrats on the purchase; I think you'll enjoy them. It took me a little bit to get used to using them, but I truly enjoy them now. I keep the cast iron grates below my grill if I want to switch them out in a few seconds, but I really like the even heating, flare protection, and quicker heat up and cool down of the Grate Rails.

It might be my imagination, but I think I've been able to get juicier results with burgers and chicken breasts with the GrillGrates. Maybe it's just the effect of infrared cooking, the "flavor valley" of juices sizzling under the food, or something else. My wife, who loves her meats ruined with well done everything, actually likes juicier, less well done steaks now.

Because of Ware and Tsmith, I think I'm going to have to try the GrateGriddle. Father's day is coming up . . .

Tsmith
Grass Type: KBG Bewitched Monostand

Post by Tsmith » June 21st, 2015, 11:55 am

I recently purchased the Grillgrates and as DFW said the GrateGriddle and couldn't be more impressed with both. They seem expensive at first but there are so many benefits to using these that make them more then worth the price.

I actually just ordered one of their smoker tubes and planning on trying a reverse sear this week.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Ware

Post by Ware » June 22nd, 2015, 9:54 am

I did more burgers over the weekend. The grates are starting to look more seasoned, and I think as a result the color of the food coming off looks better. We do eat things besides burgers, but I figured cooking some fatty stuff on the GrillGrates for the first few cooks would help accelerate the seasoning process.

We were making some sandwiches Saturday afternoon when I had a thought that they would be much better if they were club sandwiches, so I fired up the Weber and threw a few slices of bacon directly on the GrillGrates - this time no GrateGriddle. The results were amazing. I grilled bacon with no flare-ups. Let that sink in for a minute. ;)

I'm a tongs fan, so I ordered the GrateTongs with my order. In hindsight, I wouldn't order them again. They do fit the GrillGrates well, but they are pretty big. If I was cooking something very delicate, they might work well, but I can operate a set of OXO 12" Tongs with surgical precision :D . Same with the GrateTool they throw in for free - it's a little larger what I'm used to, and I've found that my normal grill tools work fine on the GrillGrates. With that said, the GrateTool will come in handy for cleaning.

Next up... tenderloin filets. :D

Ware

Post by Ware » July 2nd, 2015, 12:27 pm

I'm pretty pleased with my full set thus far, but this is an interesting GrillGrate package put together by All Things BBQ in Wichita...

Click here for video

This has me thinking - I could probably even cut down one of my old cast iron half grates to fit next to three GrillGrates.

Poke Grande
Grass Type: Bermuda (back); TTTF (front)

Post by Poke Grande » July 8th, 2015, 9:54 am

Do you all recommend getting enough to cover your entire grill? I have a Weber Genesis with stainless steel grates that are approximately 19.5" front to back and 25.5" side to side. Therefore, a 5-panel set of the 19.25" grates would run me $132+.

Thanks

Tsmith

Post by Tsmith » July 8th, 2015, 11:12 am

Poke Grande wrote:Do you all recommend getting enough to cover your entire grill? I have a Weber Genesis with stainless steel grates that are approximately 19.5" front to back and 25.5" side to side. Therefore, a 5-panel set of the 19.25" grates would run me $132+.

Thanks
I went back and forth with this and decided based on another posters recommendation to get the grates to cover my grill and replace the existing grates and glad I did. It looks better and my assumption is also works a lot better that way rather then ordering smaller grates to sit on top of your existing.

Use code "Share15" for a discount which basically ends up covering shipping.

dfw_pilot

Whole Grill

Post by dfw_pilot » July 8th, 2015, 11:25 am

Poke Grande wrote:Do you all recommend getting enough to cover your entire grill?
Yes, I too recommend the whole width replacement. You'll have more cooking options this way.

Don't forget to take into account the closure of the lid when making length measurements.

Poke Grande

Post by Poke Grande » July 8th, 2015, 11:31 am

Thanks, guys.

Poke Grande

Post by Poke Grande » July 10th, 2015, 9:44 am

Tsmith wrote:
I went back and forth with this and decided based on another posters recommendation to get the grates to cover my grill and replace the existing grates and glad I did. It looks better and my assumption is also works a lot better that way rather then ordering smaller grates to sit on top of your existing.

Use code "Share15" for a discount which basically ends up covering shipping.

I just pulled the trigger on this (5-panel replacement set). Ordered the GrateGriddle as well. Thanks for the discount code.

SACole
Grass Type: Bermuda and Empire Zoysia

Post by SACole » February 24th, 2016, 11:56 pm

I finally gave in. I got three grates for my gas grill. I might switch out all the way.
ImageUploadedByYard Help1456372597.463554.jpg

dfw_pilot

Looks great

Post by dfw_pilot » February 25th, 2016, 1:53 am

Looks awesome!

Tsmith

GrillGrates

Post by Tsmith » June 3rd, 2016, 9:55 pm

In case anyone is curious you can cut the depth of your Grill Grates if you get another grill that isn't as deep. I decided to buy another grill upgrading from my 6 year old Char Broil to a Weber but downgraded in size to the 3 burner Spirit instead of the Genesis which I also like but is way more than I need.

I didn't want to have to purchase another set of grates so I asked GG support how they cut them and they recommended a Carbide blade on a chop saw. I ended up using my miter saw which is a similar saw and the original blade which surprisingly worked well but will now replace. I only needed 4 grates for the Spirit and since I had 5 on the Char Broil I had a spare to test so went for it.

The 4 grates don't fill the entire area but GG sells a 2.33" Gap Panel now to fill in grills that end up with a gap. I'll take a pic once the gap panel arrives. I also bought another griddle but I'm sure I could have also cut the one I have.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » June 20th, 2017, 5:52 pm

Do you remove the Weber flavorizers when you use the Grill Grates?