Fermenting, where to buy soybeans

The place to share culinary tips and advice
bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Fermenting, where to buy soybeans

Post by bpgreen » August 23rd, 2015, 12:00 am

I've been brewing beer for several years and recently got interested in fermenting other things. I make kefir (sort of like drinkable yogurt) and yogurt.

I've also bought kimchee, tempeh, and natto (haven't tried the natto yet). The tempeh I bought was fully cooked, so I can't use it as a starter. Kimchee is readily available, so I'm less inclined to make it myself.

But I was thinking I could make tempeh and natto fairly easily. I can get soybeans from Amazon, but the least expensive options are around $2/lb. I'm guessing I can get them for a lot less someplace like a farm supply store. If I buy from a farm supply store, will I need to buy a huge amount? Do I need to do anything special to get soybeans for food instead of planting?

Eck
Grass Type: front: 2014 reno (Spyder LS, Titanium LS, Raptor II), back: transcontinental bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Fermenting, where to buy soybeans

Post by Eck » August 23rd, 2015, 7:34 pm

If you have an asian grocery store nearby, they probably sell bulk dried soybeans very cheap.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both

Post by bpgreen » August 23rd, 2015, 8:04 pm

Eck wrote:If you have an asian grocery store nearby, they probably sell bulk dried soybeans very cheap.
Nothing really close to me, but there's one not too far from my daughter, so I'll check that next time I visit her.

bpgreen

Post by bpgreen » August 30th, 2015, 12:10 am

Thanks for the hint. I actually found two places today. One is a winco that had them in the bulk food section and the other is an asian grocery store. They were slightly cheaper at the Asian store, but I was at the winco first.

bpgreen

Post by bpgreen » September 1st, 2015, 1:53 am

I made some natto using pinto beans (not the same). I'll

I got some tempeh starter today and will try making some tomorrow.

bpgreen

Post by bpgreen » September 4th, 2015, 11:52 pm

I made some tempeh and it turned out well. I used 500 g of soybeans and got about 1200 g of tempeh. I used my dehydrator with a bowl of water to keep temperatures in the right range.

Eck
Grass Type: front: 2014 reno (Spyder LS, Titanium LS, Raptor II), back: transcontinental bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Eck » September 5th, 2015, 9:52 am

You are making me hungry :)