Lemonade

The place to share culinary tips and advice
Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Lemonade

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » July 27th, 2020, 7:05 pm

I see most of the recipes are for more manly meals, but I've been experimenting with lemonade this summer. My sister in law has a Meyer lemon tree, so we get all the lemons and juice we could ever want. It turns out I do not care for Meyer lemons all that much; however, I have found that when I mix Meyer juice 50/50 with grocery store lemon juice, which are almost never Meyers, I kinda like the blend. So I'm using her Meyer lemon juice as a lemonade helper. This summer I have been experimenting with adding lemon zest to the lemonade. Turns out I really don't care for the bitter taste of the zest. What I had been doing was peeling five lemons and covering the peels with the sugar for 4 hours. The sugar extracts the bitter oils from the peel strips. Then I placed the sugared peels into water just taken off the boil. Let that sit for 20 minutes. If you like bitter, try it. Five grocery store lemons gives about a cup of juice, so I'm using 1 cup of juice as the starting point.
1 cup lemon juice
1 cup sugar
6 cups water
The 1:1:6 ratio works for me. I don't make simple syrup. I just dissolve the sugar in the water. The lemon juice is filtered through a sieve to get out the pulp and seeds. I find this recipe to be just slightly too strong, so I water it down to taste. Probably 1:1:7 or 1:1:8 would be fine, too.