National Champion Chili Recipe

The place to share culinary tips and advice
texasweed

Post by texasweed » June 17th, 2012, 12:16 pm

OK guys here is a chili recipe I used to win the national Chili Cook-off Contest.

SLAP YO MAMMA CHILI

INGREDIENTS

• 1-1/2 pounds 1/4 –inch cubed beef. (Sirloin) Hint: have butcher cut in ¼-inch steaks, then partially freeze and cut at home, or buy a roast and cut to save expense.
• 3/4 pound of Potter’s or Jimmy Dean original breakfast sausage roll.
• 1 large yellow onion extremely finely minced.
• 6 large cloves of garlic extremely finely minced.
• 8-oz of beef stock canned or home made.
• 8-ounce can of tomato sauce.
• Enough dark beer, red wine, coffee, or beef stock to cover by 1-inch. (I used beef stock in the contest just enough to cover).
• Salt to taste. (Wait till the last minute before serving, read METHOD)
• 1 TBLSP. Light brown sugar.
• 1 Small lime juiced. Add just before serving.
• 1 tsp. Liquid Smoke just before serving. (This is the secret ingredient that makes you wonder what is that?)
• 1-4 oz can of Hatch Brand Green Chopped Mild Chili Pepper, or hot if you prefer.

Spice Mix

Mix all the ingredients, divide into two equal portions, and follow directions in METHOD as 1st Spice, and 2nd Spice.

• 2 TBLSP Gephardt Chili Powder.
• 2 TBLSP Ancho Chili Powder.
• 2 TBLSP Chimayo or Mild New Mexico Chili Powder. (same thing different names).
• 2 TBLSP Smoked Paprika Pepper Powder
• 1 TBLSP Chipotle Chili Powder. (part of that smoky taste)
• 1 TBLSP Cumin
• 1 tsp onion powder
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1 TBLSP of Mexican Oregano + 1 tsp Black Pepper Corns ground to powder in a spice or coffee grinder.

METHOD

Sear the meat in small batches in a very hot skillet or large pot with a light coating of oil. This is a very important step, you do not want to see liquid as then you are boiling the meat, you want seared browned not boiled. So work in small batches. As you see the fond build up on the bottom between batches (brown crusty stuff), do not let it get black, deglaze with broth, beer, water, or whatever and pour out over the browned meat in a bowl while waiting and finishing up the rest of the meat browning process. Keep the meat in a bowl warn until ready to add back to the pot for a slow simmer.

After you have all the meat brown setting on the side place it in a large pot add the onion and beef broth to cover the meat. Boil for 15 minutes. Add oregano and half of the cumin. Reduce heat to a light boil, and then add the garlic. Add Spice mix 1 into the pot, and cook 15 minutes. Add the tomato sauce with the puree from the dried peppers. Add more beef broth for the desired consistency. Cook for one hour, stirring often. Add Spice 2 powder mixture and the remaining cumin, and simmer for another 25 minutes on low to medium heat. Turn up the heat to a light boil, and add the Liquid Smoke cayenne pepper, brown sugar, lime juice and salt.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: National Champion Chili Recipe

Post by bpgreen » June 17th, 2012, 2:49 pm

Congrats on the win!

Ohio2112
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Ohio2112 » June 17th, 2012, 4:02 pm

I love chili!
I will definitely give this a try, thanks!

Congrats on winning the cook-off!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

texasweed

Post by texasweed » June 17th, 2012, 7:03 pm

bpgreen wrote:Congrats on the win!
Well thanks but it was in 1998.

Bavaria
Grass Type: K-31/ kbg

Post by Bavaria » June 17th, 2012, 7:29 pm

Gotta try that, anything w/hot peppers. I'm not real great at cooking but sounds like a winner.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » June 17th, 2012, 7:38 pm

Wife insisted I print it. It better be good - I have to eat it. I hope you know more about Chili than I do about Bermudagrass.

GaryCinChicago

Post by GaryCinChicago » June 17th, 2012, 7:50 pm

T Dub, With those amounts, how many people you figure served with 1 normal man sized bowl?

snachs

Post by snachs » June 17th, 2012, 8:55 pm

Where are the beans?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

texasweed

Post by texasweed » June 17th, 2012, 9:29 pm

snachs wrote:Where are the beans?
Beans in chili. Now that is funny stuff there my friend. In TX chili with beans is called Bean Chowder. :yahoo:

FWIW in Chili competition beans is automatic disqualification. In competition there is only to be meat and gravy. There can be no trace of onions, garlic, spices or anything. If there is you are automatically disqualified and will not even be tasted.

texasweed

Post by texasweed » June 17th, 2012, 9:36 pm

GaryCinChicago wrote:T Dub, With those amounts, how many people you figure served with 1 normal man sized bowl?
Good Question. It will feed 2 Texas men along as you have a pan of cornbread and 6-pack of beer to go with it. Sweet cornbread is for sissies and children. It has to be Mexican cornbread.

On a serious note 6 to 8 hearty bowls. It really depends on how far you cook it down. I like the gravy pretty thick which makes it robust. You can thin it out to stretch it a bit with beef stock, beer, weak coffee, or even water. Just do not push it too thin. You want the gravy to at least coat the back of a spoon. For me the right thickness is you can stand the spoon in the pot without falling over.

FWIW
if you get it too thin and need to serve, mix you up a slurry of Masa Harina, the corn flour used to make tortillas, and let it simmer a few minutes to thicken up. Wick Fowler used it in his 1970 championship and founded the ICS

texasweed

Post by texasweed » June 17th, 2012, 9:40 pm

andy10917 wrote:Wife insisted I print it. It better be good - I have to eat it. I hope you know more about Chili than I do about Bermudagrass.
Well I am a National Champion of both Chili and Grass. The real question is can either you or the wife cook. :amen:

Bentface1
Grass Type: Front yard: Not sure Back yard: TTTF/KBG

Post by Bentface1 » June 17th, 2012, 11:47 pm

What do you do with the sausage? Brown that the same way as the beef?

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » June 18th, 2012, 12:50 am

texasweed wrote:
snachs wrote:Where are the beans?
Beans in chili. Now that is funny stuff there my friend. In TX chili with beans is called Bean Chowder. :yahoo:

FWIW in Chili competition beans is automatic disqualification. In competition there is only to be meat and gravy. There can be no trace of onions, garlic, spices or anything. If there is you are automatically disqualified and will not even be tasted.
I'm a little confused. The recipe has a large onion, 6 large garlic cloves and a long list of spices. How could it win if those are automatic disqualifications?

texasweed

Post by texasweed » June 18th, 2012, 9:25 am

Bentface1 wrote:What do you do with the sausage? Brown that the same way as the beef?
Yes it gets browned with the beef.

texasweed

Post by texasweed » June 18th, 2012, 9:29 am

bpgreen wrote:I'm a little confused. The recipe has a large onion, 6 large garlic cloves and a long list of spices. How could it win if those are automatic disqualifications?
Well the onions and garlic get cooked down and basically dissolve into the gravy. All the spices are ground to a powder. When finnished the gravy will be a rich dark mahogany brown.

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » June 19th, 2012, 6:16 pm

That looks great. Illhave to wait until I get back to St Louis from Iowa unless I can source the spices in Sioux city.

Dave76
Grass Type: Tif419 - P77

Post by Dave76 » June 19th, 2012, 6:23 pm

I'm impressed, TW. As you probably know, some folks get a little snobbish about chili. The next time someone tells me that tomatoes have no place in chili, I'll be able to tell them that I know a national champion who thinks differently.

I have never thought about the Liquid Smoke. I have been known to simmer chili in a cast iron dutch oven while inside my smoker, though.

John
Grass Type: St. Augustine

Post by John » November 30th, 2014, 1:39 pm

Hello texasweed,

I'm just a little late posting - only 2 years. I just don't read this forum often.

I've lived in Texas for 32 years and it's a great state for everything. I'm like every Texan and have a chili recipe so I can appreciate the stiff competition you faced. My wife and I are always looking to tweak our recipe and look at the finalist recipes from Texas competitions to get ideas. We usually don't go back more than a few years, but since you were in a 1998 national competition we'd love to take a look at the finalist recipes. Our recipe is pretty basic and we've found that by adding even just 1 item or changing the percent of our recipe's ingredients can make a huge difference. At your convenience would really appreciate letting me know what the national contest was. A big thanks.

John

Ware
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by Ware » December 3rd, 2014, 9:49 am

John wrote:Hello texasweed,

I'm just a little late posting - only 2 years. I just don't read this forum often.

I've lived in Texas for 32 years and it's a great state for everything. I'm like every Texan and have a chili recipe so I can appreciate the stiff competition you faced. My wife and I are always looking to tweak our recipe and look at the finalist recipes from Texas competitions to get ideas. We usually don't go back more than a few years, but since you were in a 1998 national competition we'd love to take a look at the finalist recipes. Our recipe is pretty basic and we've found that by adding even just 1 item or changing the percent of our recipe's ingredients can make a huge difference. At your convenience would really appreciate letting me know what the national contest was. A big thanks.

John
:crickets:

Michael Wise
Grass Type: Tifway 419

Post by Michael Wise » December 3rd, 2014, 11:42 am

Here is another great chili recipe that was also used to win a chili championship. Not my recipe, but Mr. Doug Wilkey's. The 2005 Annual World's Championship Chili Cookoff winner.

http://www.chilicookoff.com/Winner/WC_2005.asp

Dog Breath Chili

Ingredients:
6 ounces regular breakfast sausage
2 teaspoons Wesson Oil
3 pounds tri-tip beef, cut into small pieces or coarse ground
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) beef broth
1/4 teaspoon oregano
3 tablespoon cumin
7 cloves Gilroy garlic
2 tablespoons Gebhardt chile powder
1 tablespoon hot chile powder
1 tablespoon mild chile power
5 tablespoons red chile powder
1 can (8 ounces) Hunt’s Tomato Sauce
1 can (10 ounces) Ro*Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies
3 Dried California chile peppers, boiled and pureed
1 Dried New Mexico chile peppers, boiled and pureed
5 Dried Cascabel chile peppers, boiled and pureed
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
1 teaspoon Tabasco Pepper Sauce
1 teaspoon brown sugar
juice of one lime
salt to taste

Instructions:
Brown the sausage, dry, and set aside. Heat oil in a pot, and brown the beef. Add the cooked sausage to the pot. Add the onion and beef broth to cover the meat. Boil for 15 minutes. Add oregano and half of the cumin. Reduce heat to a light boil, and then add the garlic. Combine the chile powders into a mixture, then add half of that mixture, and cook 15 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and Ro*Tel with the puree from the dried peppers. Add the chicken broth for the desired consistency. Cook for one hour, stirring often. Add the remaining chile powder mixture and the remaining cumin, and simmer for another 25 minutes on low to medium heat. Turn up the heat to a light boil, and add the Tabasco, cayenne pepper, brown sugar, lime juice and salt.

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App