The Best Pizza Sauce You Will Ever Taste

The place to share culinary tips and advice
Cheesto
Grass Type: 2017 KGB Reno: Bewitched, Prosperity, Moonlight SLT, Endurance
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

The Best Pizza Sauce You Will Ever Taste

Post by Cheesto » June 30th, 2012, 8:26 am

We eat homemade pizza every Friday night at our house - I continue to tweak my pizza recipes, but I have perfected the pizza sauce. The star of all my pizzas is my pizza sauce. I also use this stuff on vegetables, chicken and pasta. Here we go:

- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup GRATED white onion (this is one of the secrets. Use the large holes in a box grater)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I measure, then grind it up in a coffee grinder)
- 2 or 3 medium garlic cloves pressed through garlic press
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes (Use 6-In-1 or Muir Glen Organic crushed tomatoes)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Small can of tomato paste (6 oz?)
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Ground black papper

Heat butter in medium saucepan (one that has a lid) over medium heat until melted. Add onion, oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon table salt (or 1 teaspoon kosher salt); stir occasionally until liquid has evaporated and onion is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes, sugar, and can of tomato paste, increase heat to high until tomatoes start to bubble - make sure to have a lid on! Partially crack the lid to allow steam to escape, lower heat to low-to-medium-low and GENTLY simmer (should gently bubble, not splatter) until reduced to a 'pizza sauce consistency'... I've never actually measured this amount, but it takes about about 35 - 40 minutes. Then, take the pan off the heat, stir in basil and oil, then season with salt and pepper.

This will make enough for at least 3 good-sized pizzas. I've actually never shared this recipe before, so give it a try and let me know what you think - it's without question the best marinara/pizza sauce I have ever tasted.

If anyone wants my ridiculously good Focaccia Pizza recipe, let me know, and I'll share it
Last edited by Cheesto on June 30th, 2012, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nclawnguy
Grass Type: tttf
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: The Best Pizza Sauce You Will Ever Taste

Post by nclawnguy » June 30th, 2012, 9:42 am

Thanks, I will give this a go.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

NiciPicki
Grass Type: Elite KBG: Award, Moonbeam, Prosperity
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: The Best Pizza Sauce You Will Ever Taste

Post by NiciPicki » August 17th, 2012, 7:31 pm

The friend who is helping me seed is coming over this evening and we talked about making grilled pizza. I think this sauce recipe needs to be a part of that.

[ Post made via Android ] Image