New Mailbox and Post

A Forum about landscaping around man-made objects
wis99ski
Grass Type: Front: Blueberry, Bewitched, Prosperity ---- Back: Bewitched, Everest, America
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

New Mailbox and Post

Post by wis99ski » December 26th, 2014, 4:54 pm

I would like to hear from those of you who have put in a new mailbox post. I'm going to rip out the old one that is pretty beat up and want to know if you use cement, rock, dirt or a combination. I think cement is the way to go. I do not know if my old one is cemented in as it was there before I moved in. I know it was backed over once and I think just put back in the ground. I do not see the cement core (kind of hoping there isn't one) and haven't checked just yet. I think I would like to cement the new post in and stop about 4" below ground level so I can have grass/flowers grow around the post. Any thoughts around this? Thanks.

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

Mightyquinn
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway 419 Monostand

Re: New Mailbox and Post

Post by Mightyquinn » December 26th, 2014, 6:20 pm

I put my last one in about 3-4 years ago after going through 3 other ones. The original one that came with the house got hit and tweaked it so it didn't sit right and plus it was just held up with small square tubing and a generic mail box. I replaced that one with one of those Rubbermaid plastic ones that attach to a 4x4 that you put in the ground with cement. Well after that one got hit I replaced that one with another one just like it. After that one got hit, I was tired of replacing mailboxes every year so I ended up going to a metal fabrication shop to have one made and they already had one sitting in the corner somewhere. I bought it for around $200 and then went to Lowe's and bought the strongest mailbox they had. The post is 3-4 inch round steel tubing and I filled the main empty tube with cement and then used the rest of the bag to anchor it in. If someone hits it they will have a very bad day!!!! Haven't had an issue since then!!!!! Sorry for the rant :banghead:

I would definitely add cement to your new mailbox as it helps anchor it down and can help if it gets lightly hit by a car or bike. I know you may not need to go to the extremes that I did but you may want to check your local codes for mailboxes. When I bought mine the guy said that if you live on a busy road you have to have a "break away" mailbox but since I live in a residential neighborhood it wasn't an issue. Here is a pic of mine.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » December 26th, 2014, 7:13 pm

+35 MQ. I agree with everything said, and those of us much farther north have an additional complication: snow plows driving by at 40mph and hitting it with a wall of wet snow at that speed. Without reinforcement, the wall of snow causes a "twisting action" that weakens everything. The only cure is enough rigidity that it can't twist.

Mine is in a 6' no-man's land between the stone wall and the actual pavement. I have the concrete come up to an inch or two above the ground, and taper it away from the pole so it drains a bit. Chaulking it also extend the life of the pole. The Vinca Minor and Pachysandra cover the concrete so it isn't an eyesore.

wis99ski
Grass Type: Front: Blueberry, Bewitched, Prosperity ---- Back: Bewitched, Everest, America

Post by wis99ski » December 26th, 2014, 11:04 pm

All very good ideas, thank you for the responses. I think having flowers or some type of hardscape combo is needed to give the entrance to the driveway a pop. I like how some have tiger lillie's in the spring and bug mums in the fall etc. I just need to think of a great hardscaped border..

My mailbox came with a nice metal post so I'm happy about that. I just need to figure out the look around it. Thoughts?

flutemama
Grass Type: bermuda

Post by flutemama » January 1st, 2015, 2:32 pm

In my parents neighborhood, several people have brick mailboxes (about 2'x2' and 4-5' tall depending on the shape or style of design. The box itself is integrated into the structure. They look quite nice, hold up to snow cover, and would be quite a formidable opponent for any car, cyclist, etc. Here in Texas I've seen brick mailbox structures with a built-in brick flower box. It looks nice, sturdy, and flowers can be a real eye catcher. Just an idea.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

flutemama
Grass Type: bermuda

Post by flutemama » January 2nd, 2015, 5:58 pm

Also, I once saw a brick mailbox where they replaced some of the bricks with glass blocks. They ran power to it and lit it up with the other outdoor lights. It looked very cool.

BfranksATX
Grass Type: Blackjack Bermuda

Post by BfranksATX » January 2nd, 2015, 9:00 pm

A home along a popular running route in college had a water fountain built into the mailbox. No one ever saw or met the owners but all of the runners admired them!

tlinden
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity

Post by tlinden » January 4th, 2015, 2:53 pm

A neighbor kept getting theirs damaged so they replaced it with a steel one. The post is a steel I beam and the box looks like its welded to it. They must have paid a lot for it but it hasnt been damaged since..

wis99ski

Post by wis99ski » January 5th, 2015, 9:02 pm

I'm going to have stainless or brass numbers water jet cut out in a font that I like. Thickest I've seen was a 1/4" to buy. I'll probably go a little thicker at 5/16" or 3/8"

tman7078
Grass Type: Kentucky

Post by tman7078 » August 11th, 2015, 5:27 pm

Old topic, but this what I did this summer. It will leave a big mark on anything that hits it.

wis99ski

Post by wis99ski » August 17th, 2015, 1:09 pm

Looks good.

I also had thick brass custom numbers cut