New Shed and Gravel Pad

A Forum about landscaping around man-made objects
Tsmith
Grass Type: KBG Bewitched Monostand
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

New Shed and Gravel Pad

Post by Tsmith » September 9th, 2015, 11:32 am

I was finally able to finish the surrouding area for my shed with top soil and mulch this weekend so I figured I would share a pic. The shed itself is 10x14x10 and I made the gravel pad a little bigger at 12x16. The doors are 5' wide but I only made the ramp 4' wide mainly bc I cant fit anything longer than 8' in my car and refuse to buy 8 footers for 5' planks. I may add a plank on either side going up and down to widen it but for right now it suits my needs. The area of the lawn in front of the ramp that is struggling is where the shed installers spent most of their time but Im hoping it bounces back once we actually get into fall weather and finally get some rain.

My yard slopes down toward the back and this area of my yard was below grade so I went two high with the rail road ties, the first just to get it level and the second to raise it up to grade. The gravel within the pad is 6" deep for the most part but is less in some areas. I went with a gravel pad since it was amazingly cheaper than a concrete slab. I also added gravel and landscape fabric around the back and right side to hopefully prevent weeds but some are still popping through. I added about 1.5 yards of top soil around the front and left side to build area up a little which I plan to plant some shrubs and or flowers. I finished it off by spreading two yards of mulch around the entire shed area including the gravel in back and right side.

I can now move everything from the garage to the shed which will allow me to eliminate my garage and expand my family room into it making the man cave Ive been dreaming about since I purchased this house 12 years ago.
Last edited by Tsmith on October 25th, 2016, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

dfw_pilot
Grass Type: U3 Bermuda

Caves for Men

Post by dfw_pilot » September 9th, 2015, 10:40 pm

Lookin' awesome! Now you have two man-caves: garage and the shed!!

Tsmith

Re: New Shed and Gravel Pad

Post by Tsmith » September 9th, 2015, 11:39 pm

Thanks, I still hv to paint it but happy with it so far.

Here's a pic of the loft which is at 6 ft and with me being 5'10" I can walk right under without ducking.
ImageUploadedByYard Help1441856339.002036.jpg

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

Tsmith

Post by Tsmith » September 14th, 2015, 11:38 pm

Changed the ramp to 5' wide from 4 which worked fine when both doors were open but just wasn't wide enough when opening the one door and overall just didn't look right with 5' doors.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

new to this
Grass Type: KBG Front, PRG Back

Post by new to this » September 15th, 2015, 6:16 am

Only 2' bigger than mine but boy am I green with envy, wish I could get an extra 2' right about now. My friend just put in a 12x16...it's a monster!

Over the years my loft has become a gathering place for crap, just cleaned it out last week and just from that it's like having a new shed! Enjoy!

Tsmith

Post by Tsmith » September 15th, 2015, 10:07 am

Thanks, I was initially planning on going with the Tackroom style shed but the extra two ft of height and loft sold me on the dutch barn. I figued the loft would be the place to just shove stuff that I hardly use and dont want to see. I am thinking about putting another on the other side but maybe not come out as far.

I still have a bunch to move in, trying to plan how I am going to hang all of my trimmer attachments and yard tools so they are all still in my garage. I also want to build some type of workbench that I can fold up onto the wall to save space.

Billybob
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by Billybob » September 15th, 2015, 10:58 am

Built a work bench in my shed. I went to the lumber yard and asked them if they had any old solid hardwood doors laying around. They had a junk shed with old doors. They gave me a 6' solid wood door for $15.

I used hinges to mount to the wall then I used rigid pipe n flanges to support the bench. When not in use I unscrew the pipe n swing it down flat against the wall. Cost me like $25

Tsmith

Post by Tsmith » September 15th, 2015, 5:24 pm

That's awesome and roughly what I was thinking.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image