Need suggestions for walkway

A Forum about landscaping around man-made objects
llO0DQLE
Grass Type: KBG and Creeping Red Fescue
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Need suggestions for walkway

Post by llO0DQLE » April 18th, 2016, 7:56 pm

I am having a bit of a tough time deciding how to landscape a section of my property beside the house and the fence on the right side (see pic). I've looked at a lot of options - pavers, flagstones, cobblestones etc. The wife doesn't want gravel so that's out. I won't be able to grow grass from the gate to the first post behind it. I think it won't be worth it to try and grow grass from that point up to where my back lawn starts (3rd post from the gate). So I'm thinking I'm just going to hardscape the whole area.

Some aspects I've already decided on:

1. I will edge right along the fence with paver stones with a soldier and sailor combo. It will run the length of the fence and fill the space between with gravel. As you can see, that's where the sump pump hose runs and I'd like some drainage there and having the soldier orientation will keep any gravel from spilling over, as well as it sort of hides the hose.

2. On the left side, I will put gravel on the section behind the window well going down the slope up to the point where the downspout ends, about the same width as the window well. I will retain the gravel with paver stones angled up so it's going to look like a small hill. On the same side but in front of the window well I will either do something similar or just flat stones.

My main issue is the path. As I already mentioned, gravel is out. A brick/paverstone path could work but it's a lot of work. I was hoping to come up with something easier, less time consuming and more economical. Another issue is that I have to grade it down going to the fence, as well as going down to the back lawn. It will be tricky and I think it will look weird with a brick pathway angled down to the side. If I go flagstones/cobblestones, I don't think I'll be able to grow anything between the cracks so it will be dirt in there. That section doesn't get much sun at all and I'm in USDA zone 4a.

Ideas/suggestions are much appreciated.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Need suggestions for walkway

Post by ken-n-nancy » April 25th, 2016, 4:27 pm

llO0DQLE wrote:I am having a bit of a tough time deciding how to landscape a section of my property beside the house and the fence on the right side (see pic).
Definitely an area that is screaming out for a hardscape. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

llO0DQLE

Post by llO0DQLE » April 25th, 2016, 11:30 pm

It's gonna be a DIY for cost savings... I have no experience so don't have too high expectations.. lol I'm leaning towards a flagstone path.. gives me a little leeway for unevenness. A brick path is going to be very labor and skill intensive..

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Scamper733
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG Blend
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Scamper733 » June 7th, 2016, 7:59 am

I think you are definitely on the right path (pun intended) with wanting to go with a flagstone walkway. To me, that area is screaming for it. I would go with as large of a flagstone as you can, and place mulch around the flagstones. Don't be afraid to leave a larger gap between the flagstones, don't feel that you need to get them as close as possible. I don't know what kind of sun that area gets, but adding some creeping thyme near the flagstones would add some interest and soften up some of the flagstones. They can also take a beating, so no worries if you walk on them.

You can find a ton of examples online where mulch is used around flagstone. You could also use pea gravel if you want to stick with the stone look, but mulch would help balance out the stone (in my opinion). Here's an example of what I'm talking about. Good luck with your project!

Click for full size

llO0DQLE

Post by llO0DQLE » June 7th, 2016, 1:00 pm

Hi thanks for your input! I was contemplating what to do in between the cracks if I went with flagstone. I wanted to do something like thyme at first because it's green, apparently smells good if you step on it and will stay put as opposed to pea gravel. I believe my USDA hardiness zone is 3a. I don't think thyme would survive our winters. My wife doesn't want pea gravel as it will spill over and get into the lawn. Mulch may do the same but may not be as bad. I was also not wanting to keep on buying mulch every year but with such a small area I may only need a bag which would be ok. I'll keep it in mind.

[ Post made via Android ] Image