DIY Walkway Cement Molds

A Forum about landscaping around man-made objects
wis99ski
Grass Type: Front: Blueberry, Bewitched, Prosperity ---- Back: Bewitched, Everest, America
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

DIY Walkway Cement Molds

Post by wis99ski » May 29th, 2016, 10:12 am

Does anyone have any experience with diy walkway cement molds like the "Pathmate"?

http://www.gardenersedge.com/pathmate-d ... hgodRjEKmQ I have a decent stretch of a rounding walkway that goes to two different doors. So it's not a straight run. Right now I have laid brick which has heaved over the years and gapped in spots. At this point the whole walk needs to be redone. Quotes to contract it out for pavers is 5k + and for someone to pour cement is pricey too. If I can do it myself for a fraction of the cost and get a paver type look with a cement mold I'm all for it with the costs savings. You can add dye and other things to the cement too.

The picture is an example, there are parts I have tightened up the edges which can be done here but it's just a temporary fix bc there are my un-level spots
ImageUploadedByYard Help1464531096.229838.jpg
ImageUploadedByYard Help1464531131.666793.jpg

wis99ski
Grass Type: Front: Blueberry, Bewitched, Prosperity ---- Back: Bewitched, Everest, America

Re: DIY Walkway Cement Molds

Post by wis99ski » May 30th, 2016, 1:35 pm

I have been researching some stamped cement techniques and I wouldn't mind getting ahold of a rubber mat concrete stamp to add texture. The problem I see is I have curves and it may be a lot of work curving the patterns. I may price out some bigger stone slabs vs pavers given I'm already committed to pulling up and leveling the base myself regardless.

Jmac30
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by Jmac30 » May 30th, 2016, 1:52 pm

Please keep us updated on what you end up doing. I am trying to make a similar decision myself.

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

Kmartel
Grass Type: KBG/PR

Post by Kmartel » May 30th, 2016, 3:28 pm

It won't matter what you put down for a surface if you don't rebuild the base its going to eventually crack, heave or sink. You really need to dig out old base and rebuild with a minimum of 12" of compacted 3/4" crushed gravel. I use 18-24" on my owner projects. Plus you need to use at least a 400 pound plate compactor. I prefer an 800 pounder if you can find one to rent.

wis99ski

Post by wis99ski » May 31st, 2016, 10:07 am

Yeah. The walk is original at almost 30 years and had no edging to at least hold it in place.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » May 31st, 2016, 12:12 pm

wis99ski wrote:... Right now I have laid brick which has heaved over the years and gapped in spots. At this point the whole walk needs to be redone. Quotes to contract it out for pavers is 5k + and for someone to pour cement is pricey too. If I can do it myself for a fraction of the cost and get a paver type look with a cement mold I'm all for it with the costs savings. You can add dye and other things to the cement too.
I'm a big fan of having paver walkways having their joints filled with sand, rather than cement. In an area receiving frost, heaving is going to occur over time. When the joints are filled with sand, you can always readily lift up a section of bricks that have heaved (plus a bit more), make the base level once again, reset the bricks / pavers, and put new sand in the joints.

However, if cement was used in the joints, gaps open up between the bricks anyway (and you can't just spread some more sand on top), bricks are likely to have cracked, and a repair is much more difficult.

Polymeric sand provides a compromise position -- some of the features of both sand and concrete. We did this on our front walk, which is only 2.5 years old right now, so it hasn't shown heaving yet, but I'm hopeful that it will give us some of the best features of both.

wis99ski

Post by wis99ski » May 31st, 2016, 12:16 pm

Yeah I'm looking to have a cement walk that looks like a paver, kind of.