GrubEx Return or Apply NOW in NJ

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
bongobyll
Grass Type: northern mix I dont know

GrubEx Return or Apply NOW in NJ

Postby bongobyll » May 19th, 2017, 5:02 pm

Life got away from me and I know I should have applied earlier, but my life and the weather didn't cooperate this year.

I had grubs last year and applied Bayer 24hr last year and planned on using GrubEx this year... but didn't.

I've seen grubs in my beds already and wanted to do another round this year since I had known damage last year. I tried to use what seems like the more environmentally responsible GrubEx, but wanted confirmation that it is too late. I have irrigation (city water) and a large lawn. I am not against the cost to water any product in if it still is worth it (seeing how I totally missed the perfect week last week).

Should I still apply GrubEx this late in the year or use a different product soon/now? If a different product, recommendations on what and when would be appreciated.

I like the 101 forum because I feel more comfortable asking my "should have known better" questions, so thank you for creating it and taking the time to answer.
g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)

Re: GrubEx Return or Apply NOW in NJ

Postby g-man » May 19th, 2017, 8:01 pm

quote=g-man post_id=304369 time=1492872242 user_id=6562]
This Michigan State University article recommends the application of GrubEx (chlorantraniliprole) between April 1 and May 30. The article actually say: "so it can be applied any time after the grass turns green in the spring".

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/how_to_cho ... _your_lawn
[/quote]

Read that article. You still have time but don't delay it. Since you had grub problems last year you really need to get some protection.
bongobyll
Grass Type: northern mix I dont know

Postby bongobyll » May 19th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Thanks G-man, that article is what lead me to choosing grubex (nicer to the honey bees). Just thought I've seen others point out the northern location of that article, affecting the exact dates of drop time and was afraid I missed my window.

Hopefully with the irrigation helping the natural precipitation, it will work into the ground quickly enough.

Thanks again
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Postby Green » May 19th, 2017, 10:12 pm

For what it's worth...

I was in the same situation last year and applied on May 17th. I knew it wasn't ideal to be on the late side, but I wanted protection. It worked fine...but I had also applied Grubex in 2015 as well, and Imidacloprid at least the year before that, if not two.
mitten
Grass Type: Midnight, Diva, Everglade KBG, plus Fiesta4 PR and Zodiac Fescue

Postby mitten » May 20th, 2017, 3:20 pm

My local garden center recommended applying GrubEx on May 20, last year for what it's worth.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Postby Green » May 20th, 2017, 6:13 pm

I believe I'm in zone 6b, and May 20th is the very latest I'd feel comfortable putting it down, unless the rainfall in late May through June was highly above typical levels.