Results of Minimal Effort

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
crabgrass
Grass Type: Established TTTF/FF mix with some KBG overseeded - Fighting invasive Bermuda.
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by crabgrass » June 8th, 2016, 7:32 am

On a project in MD suburbs of DC, renting a townhouse with two co-workers. Couldn't resist putting down two apps each fert and WBG w/CG. Total time invested was about 5 min, all in. Here's what it looks like now. I stopped at the neighbor's:

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

oze
Grass Type: Northern mix transitioning to Regenerating Perennial Ryegrass
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Results of Minimal Effort

Post by oze » June 8th, 2016, 8:14 am

Nice! I love the dark green/light green demarcation line that defines the property border!

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by LoneRanger » June 8th, 2016, 9:35 am

It's not just the color and demarcation, but look at the health and weed pressure. Remarkable!

crabgrass
Grass Type: Established TTTF/FF mix with some KBG overseeded - Fighting invasive Bermuda.

Post by crabgrass » June 9th, 2016, 12:02 am

Correct, the color is a combination of the 4% Iron and the removal of the broadleaf weeds. I MAY get a bag of milo for the summer and bring the triclophor up for a few vines. The nice combination of shade from tall trees, adequate rain, and just enough sun makes this effortless...

My "roommate" commented "Why are you doing that?", to which I replied "Why not - it's 1.5 minutes?". He now jokes about the difference almost every time he pulls into the lot and stares at the color.

crabgrass

Post by crabgrass » June 9th, 2016, 12:08 am

For clarity, apps were about three weeks apart, and were a day before predicted rain.

Lawn mower dude seems MIA. Lawn is nearly knee-high now and flopping over...

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » June 9th, 2016, 7:26 am

crabgrass wrote:Lawn mower dude seems MIA. Lawn is nearly knee-high now and flopping over...
Ut oh - that could be a problem - there's a service that mows the lawn? Are they likely to mow it just once a week at 2.5", cutting off about 6"+ of grass at once?

crabgrass

Post by crabgrass » June 9th, 2016, 1:57 pm

ken-n-nancy wrote:
crabgrass wrote:Lawn mower dude seems MIA. Lawn is nearly knee-high now and flopping over...
Ut oh - that could be a problem - there's a service that mows the lawn? Are they likely to mow it just once a week at 2.5", cutting off about 6"+ of grass at once?
Not really a problem. This just a goof mini-project at a place I am staying at for a few months. Dude mows the complex weekly (or is supposed to)

BoatDr
Grass Type: 80% Bewitched 20% fescue

Post by BoatDr » June 9th, 2016, 3:11 pm

This kind of enthusiasm is why I love this site. When I Milo, I'm often tempted to run a stripe across the neighbors as an eye opener.

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » June 11th, 2016, 6:50 pm

BoatDr wrote:This kind of enthusiasm is why I love this site. When I Milo, I'm often tempted to run a stripe across the neighbors as an eye opener.
Careful. Some neighbors will take it as an insult or question why you sprayed toxic chemicals on their lawn. They know toxic chemicals will green their turf up, but they don't want that on their land, makes them have to mow more often, or any number of other reasons why their lawn is safer then yours.

BoatDr
Grass Type: 80% Bewitched 20% fescue

Post by BoatDr » June 11th, 2016, 8:55 pm

I've got a couple of neighbors that have begun their journey down the lawn care rabbit hole.. They'd love me to help. They used to just poke fun at me, now They're starting to ask me for tips. I heard from one guy, that when he makes jokes, his wife tells him to stop because, well...."it looks really nice" They were out leveling about 3yards of topsoil two weeks before Memorial Day. Now there's seedlings growing. This time the jokes on him.

Edit: I'd never just "Do something" to anyone's lawn. Not these days.. People can be nuts. Don't give them fuel.

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

ronfitch
Grass Type: original: I don't know; overseed: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by ronfitch » June 16th, 2016, 10:53 am

crabgrass wrote: each fert and WBG w/CG.
Sorry, what is "each fert and WBG w/CG"? I feel I should know this by now but am blanking. Thanks.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by bpgreen » June 16th, 2016, 11:37 am

ronfitch wrote:
Sorry, what is "each fert and WBG w/CG"? I feel I should know this by now but am blanking. Thanks.
Two apps each fert and WBG w/CG.

two applications of fertilizer and two applications of weed be gone with crabgrass control.

ronfitch
Grass Type: original: I don't know; overseed: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by ronfitch » June 16th, 2016, 12:17 pm

bpgreen wrote:
ronfitch wrote:
Two apps each fert and WBG w/CG.

two applications of fertilizer and two applications of weed be gone with crabgrass control.
Ah ... WeedBGone ... thanks.

crabgrass

Post by crabgrass » June 17th, 2016, 12:37 am

My bad. I posted this hastily, or I might not have done so at all.

However, this I a 101 forum, so I should be particularly clear.

The application of WeedBGone w/Crabgrass Control and Scotts GreenMax w/4% Iron were applied on the same cool day, with solid rain expected the next. About three weeks later I picked a cool day before a rain and repeated the application. WBG has a good pre-mixed product with a wand and electric sprayer that makes I easy. The granular Scotts was applied with a hand-held rotary spreader.