A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
hedgeslawn
Grass Type: KBG, TF, Rye
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Newbie Here

Post by hedgeslawn » March 19th, 2017, 7:09 pm

A couple of questions here and TIA:

1.) When you use a new type of grass seed, do you ever worry that the color won't quite match if you are just doing patch work here and there? For example, if I suddenly decided to use Midnight Blue, wouldn't that stand out against the rest of my lawn?

2.) Is it a waste of seed to overseed using broadcast only (before or after aeration)? Would I get an incredibly low germination rate?

3.) Does anyone have any thoughts about using a pressure washer (medium setting) after broadcasting seed to help it dig into the dirt? I'm not talking about enough to kill or uproot the existing grass, but just enough to water and help push the seed into better soil contact?

4.) Is overseeding in spring a waste anyway?

FWIW, my lawn is in pretty good shape, but the crabgrass has been getting worse. Last year, I went to war and used Tenacity and it helped a lot. Trying to get to the next level for this summer. My lawn isn't really thin, but I just fantasize it could be thicker.

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)

Re: Newbie Here

Post by g-man » March 20th, 2017, 8:58 am

Hedgeslawn, welcome to the forum.

1) Yes.

2) It is not a waste to use a broadcast. Germination rate depends of multiple factors like keeping the soil moist and seed to soil contact.

3) I have never heard about using a power washer to push the seed down. On an overseed, if the lawn is dry, it should fall by gravity. On a renovation, the ideal is to use a roller.

4) Overseeding in spring is hard. Keeping the young grass alive thru the summer is a challenge. It is doable and having irrigation helps.

If the grass is in good shape, then 1) apply Pre-M (prodamine, dimension) to control the crabgrass really soon; 2) get a soil test at Logan Labs per the soil forum instructions to amend any soil deficiencies; 3) ensure you are applying nitrogen to encourage grow when the grass is growing.

tlinden
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity

Post by tlinden » March 20th, 2017, 4:00 pm

So you point out your lawn isn't in bad shape. So skip the seed this spring and put down pre-emergent when the forsynthia blooms. That will stop new crabgrass.

Get a soil test, ammend your soil, and learn how to properly fertilize and water your lawn.

Most likely you won't need to overseed. But if you do, then do it this fall when the weed pressure won't be so bad!

timingchainslipped
Grass Type: kbg

Post by timingchainslipped » March 21st, 2017, 7:25 pm

I think i remember reading that there is a different post-m that's highly effective against crabgrass, drive xlr8.

not sure what the contraindications are with regards to other types of pre/post.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » March 21st, 2017, 7:32 pm

Drive XLR8 is a brand name for Quinclorac, as Tenacity is a brand name for Mesotrione. For crabgrass, Quinclorac tops Mesotrione most of the time.