Dimension app question

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
71GTO
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Dimension app question

Post by 71GTO » March 21st, 2017, 8:53 pm

i've been looking around in the old topics and didn't see the info I was looking for, maybe its a stupid question, but I'm a little confused about doing split apps of pre m. This is the first time using a pre m and following a lawn care program. I picked up Lesco Dimension today 0-0-7. The max per app is 11.47 pounds per 1000 and 34.41 per year per 1000. For my area it is recommending 4.13 pounds per 1000 for 3-5 months of coverage.
If I do 1 app at 4.13 and it lasts 3 months is that long enough stop crab grass for the season? if I do a split at of 2.7 does that lengthen the coverage and stop germination during the first app? Or do you do multiple applications at higher rates like 3 pounds per 1000 twice in spring will last all summer?
I'm trying to figure this out in the event I'm successful in drastically reducing the weeds maybe I would throw some seed down in the fall depending on what things look like if the dimension would wear off, but I'd hate put down a pre m and it wears off early and then I end up at the end of the summer no better off.
Does any of that make sense, lol?

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Dimension app question

Post by g-man » March 23rd, 2017, 11:33 am

71GTO:

Could you post a picture of the bag or what is the active ingredient? Lesco sells a 0-0-7 that uses pendimethalin which is not the active ingredient in Dimension (dithiopyr).

Regardless of that, if you plan to overseed in the fall, then you do need to be careful of not applying it too late or too high rate. Why? because it could prevent your seed from germinating. On the flip side, if it wears off early, then yes you might have some/few weed germinating. But those could be taken care with magical stuff called tenacity at seed down. Not applying any Pre-M now means that you will have to deal with weeds all the way until the fall and beyond.

In summary, you are better off to apply PreM now and we will try to help you to make sure it is not too much in case you want to overseed in the fall.

71GTO

Post by 71GTO » March 23rd, 2017, 8:23 pm

The active ingredient is dithiopyr. Thank you for the help!

g-man

Post by g-man » March 24th, 2017, 10:54 pm

71GTO:

The best crabgrass control is when the rate is applied at 0.5ai/acre. Since you state you had lots of weds and a neglected lawn for year, the 0.5ai/acre rate makes more sense. More detail here on how the rates affect performance - https://turf.purdue.edu/tips/2010/02222 ... egies.html

Based on your product label, the 0.5ai/acre rate is the 11.47lb/ksqft. I would recommend to apply half that amount now (as soon as forsythia blooms) and the other half 6 week later. If you plan to overseed, the label states to wait 16 weeks (4 months). Therefore in that case apply it all now to be able to seed in august.

I read your soil post. It stated a property of 0.4 acres, so 17ksqft. I'm assuming you mean that's the lawn area only (eg house not counted). Therefore you will need a total of 4 50lb bags of the lesco product.

71GTO

Post by 71GTO » March 25th, 2017, 4:02 pm

Sorry g-man .39 is with the house. I estimated with find lot size about 13000 sq feet of lawn. I did the app today. I think it should be ok, we will see it was the first time using the new spreader and treating the whole lawn so I think there will be a learning curve on settings and walking a good pattern.

g-man

Post by g-man » March 25th, 2017, 6:33 pm

^ good to know.Use the 13k in the future so we recommend the proper qty. You should only need to apply 3 bags instead of 4.

kevreh
Grass Type: Front Yard: 2013 TTTF reno (faith, cochise, turbo, ls1200), Back: 2013 KBG reno (bewitched, midnight, prosperity)

Post by kevreh » March 27th, 2017, 9:35 pm

g-man wrote:
March 24th, 2017, 10:54 pm
71GTO:

The best crabgrass control is when the rate is applied at 0.5ai/acre. Since you state you had lots of weds and a neglected lawn for year, the 0.5ai/acre rate makes more sense. More detail here on how the rates affect performance - https://turf.purdue.edu/tips/2010/02222 ... egies.html

Based on your product label, the 0.5ai/acre rate is the 11.47lb/ksqft. I would recommend to apply half that amount now (as soon as forsythia blooms) and the other half 6 week later. If you plan to overseed, the label states to wait 16 weeks (4 months). Therefore in that case apply it all now to be able to seed in august.

I read your soil post. It stated a property of 0.4 acres, so 17ksqft. I'm assuming you mean that's the lawn area only (eg house not counted). Therefore you will need a total of 4 50lb bags of the lesco product.
I think the 1/2 amount (1/2 * 11.47 = @5.7lb/ksft) you stated is way too much. He didn't show the part of the label that has different rates depending on a few variables. For my lawn in the transition zone I do 2x apps in the spring @ 2.5lbs/ksqft.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » April 1st, 2017, 7:43 pm

The % active ingredient is missing information here...at least I didn't see it mentioned.

As a rule of thumb, I tend to use 4 lbs/K of .15% Dimension around Forsythia bloom (mid April here) for control of crabgrass through at least the beginning of July in my region. That's almost 3 months of control. If using a higher or lower percentage AI product, adjust the rate up or down accordingly (e.g. 3.6 lbs/K of 0.167% Dimension).

Two apps of 5-6 lbs per thousand separated by 6 weeks seems like too much to me. I don't think you'd want to apply that much. That would be the entire yearly rate.