Fertilized yard and now grass is dying

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
Snyder040
Grass Type: St augustine
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Fertilized yard and now grass is dying

Post by Snyder040 » April 19th, 2017, 9:10 am

I'm a newbie here and to lawn care. I'm located in Florida and have Saint Augustine grass. In March, I applied Scott's weed and feed to my yard after mowing. My mower blades were damaged from a rock and ended up cutting unevenly and shredding my grass on one side throughout my yard. About two weeks later my grass looks yellowish brown and has burn spots and has not been growing. I was going to cut my grass tonight and apply Molorganite. Can someone advise me what I should do? Will molorganite kill it even more??

Maizan24
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Novice

Re: Fertilized yard and now grass is dying

Post by Maizan24 » April 19th, 2017, 6:45 pm

Im no expert either but I can only think of a couple things that it may (or not) be. Did you make sure that your spreader was set to the right setting? Its possible you over applied. Also make sure that the fertilizer you bought is compatible with your turf type. I would imagine that wherever you got it from would be smart enough to not carry product that is for cool season grasses but I would check the bag just to be double sure. Also Im not sure how long it takes for grass fungus or disease to set it but possibly (again, no expert) something could have happened if the grass was cut rough like you were saying. If possible post a couple pics because there are lots of knowledgeable folks on this forum that could ID the problem in a second. Good luck.

CenlaLowell
Grass Type: St Augustine

Post by CenlaLowell » April 19th, 2017, 6:47 pm

I would definitely just water it. I would not throw any more fertilizer down.

glenforest
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by glenforest » April 20th, 2017, 8:19 am

What fertilizer did you use? This Scotts Weed and Feed label says do not use on St. Augustine http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/turf-b ... od11670004

glenforest
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by glenforest » April 20th, 2017, 9:23 am

This is the southern grass version of Scotts Turf Builder. Is this what you used? http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/lawn-b ... /prod90008

Oicu812
Grass Type: 419

Post by Oicu812 » April 20th, 2017, 11:27 am

How many pounds of product did you put down on how many Thousand square feet of lawn? A lot of these weed and feed products are only suitable for Saint Augustine and centipede at the lower end of the usage rates and even then it is sketchy

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » April 20th, 2017, 9:49 pm

Another idea...Are you in the part of Florida that's in severe drought right now? If so, are you watering?

Snyder040

Post by Snyder040 » April 21st, 2017, 6:32 am

I used the purple bag of Scott's Weed and Feed that is for St Augustine grass. Some areas of the yard are growing very nicely, very green. Other areas, The blades are either dead or thinned and dried out. Some of the blades are shredded from the damaged, old mower blades. I just put new blades on so the next cut will be a clean cut. Yes I'm in Florida where we have received very little rain however I've been watering it every other day and it seems to be bringing the grass back in most areas. I believe I may have used too much fertilizer- where I used a thin layer of fert, its growing green and strong. The dead areas are where extra seemed to leak out of the spreader or where I may have overlapped. :banghead:

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by bpgreen » April 21st, 2017, 11:14 am

Snyder040 wrote:
April 21st, 2017, 6:32 am
I've been watering it every other day and it seems to be bringing the grass back in most areas. I believe I may have used too much fertilizer- where I used a thin layer of fert, its growing green and strong. The dead areas are where extra seemed to leak out of the spreader or where I may have overlapped. :banghead:
If you can water deeply, you should be able to get the grass to grow deeper roots, so you'd be able to water less frequently. Try waiting for the grass to start showing signs of stress before watering. If you change too suddenly, the grass won't be able to get to the water that's deeper in the soil. Some people can get to the point where they only water once a week, but they water an inch that one time. I was never able to get to that point with traditional lawn grass, because it's so dry here. With my native/naturalized grasses, I often go for a month.

From the sounds of things, the spots that are suffering may have gotten fertilizer/nitrogen burn. Fortunately, St Augustine spreads, so unless those spots are big, they should fill in on their own.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » April 21st, 2017, 2:12 pm

I over fertilized a 3 sf area of my yard when the spreader tipped over. :lol:

I picked up all the prill I could with a vaccuum and then watered it heavily for several days. Yes, a lot still died but there are enough green blades in there it will fill in fine.

Remember this general rule: No more than 1 lb / K of any nutrient (N, P, or K) per month. Always calculate how much you're putting down.

Snyder040

Post by Snyder040 » April 21st, 2017, 9:13 pm

I definitely over-fertilized...my yard looks like sh*t!

Maizan24
Grass Type: Northern mix
Level: Novice

Post by Maizan24 » April 22nd, 2017, 7:46 am

Just keep it watered. You should be ok.