Put down too much Starter Lawn Food w/ Weed Preventer

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
AldenAllen
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Put down too much Starter Lawn Food w/ Weed Preventer

Post by AldenAllen » April 26th, 2017, 11:10 pm

Hello ya'll, I just got done clearing a section of our property at the back in order to put in a new fence for the dogs and make use of as much space as possible. So, there was a 65' X 15' section of over growth that I had just cleared, full of weeds, small trees, vines, old dried out twigs, sticks, branches, and small logs and managed to get it down to bare dirt. I was planning on putting down Scotts, Step 1 for seeding, starter lawn food w/ weed preventer, then after that I was going to spread some black dirt, top soil, and then spread grass seed, but I wanted to put down something to keep the weeds from coming back first. Well I read the bag and setting for the broadcast spreader on the back which said to put it on setting 7 which I did and ended up going through the whole bag, well when I was done as I was about to throw the bag out I saw on the bottom corner "Covers 5,000 Sq. Feet." So now I'm thinking Ooooh... Sh*t. I am not very familiar w/ lawns and lawn care, We usually have someone Mow ours, but now I'm not sure where I stand, how I should address this issue and what problems this is going to cause me as far as still being able to plant grass seed etc. Any advice on how I should handle this or what the hell I should do would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and at the very least reading this thread.

kbgfarmer
Grass Type: Bewitched Kentucky bluegrass
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Put down too much Starter Lawn Food w/ Weed Preventer

Post by kbgfarmer » April 27th, 2017, 11:52 am

So that's about 1000 sq feet that you applied it to based on what you said correct? What is the n-p-k analysis on the starter you used? Most starters are usually lower on the nitrogen as compared to the phosphorus. What percent fast release is the nitrogen is important as well. Look for water insoluble nitrogen percent on the label as well. Can't really say how much you put down without knowing these numbers and the weight of the bags contents. Seeing as its bare dirt right now I want to say it shouldn't be an issue since there is no grass to burn but....