Your thoughts on this dethatching blade

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
s1mpl3k1d
Grass Type: KGB Emblem, Midnight II entire lawn
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Your thoughts on this dethatching blade

Post by s1mpl3k1d » April 27th, 2017, 1:23 am

Hey folks. I've been raking my lawn manually for straight 3 days now using a dethatching rake. I've completed about 2,000 sqft now. I've already filled up 6 lawn bags with dead grass. My whole body is extremely very sore. I don't want to do it anymore. I would like to buy this dethatching blade but I'd like to know if they work if you've tried them before.

Swamp_Fox
Grass Type: KBG, Creeping Red, Rye

Re: Your thoughts on this dethatching blade

Post by Swamp_Fox » April 29th, 2017, 5:28 am

I've never seen anything like that before! A quick search on YouTube showed a person using something similar and they did infact remove a surpring amount of thatch with it. Though I do wonder if a spinning blade with some tines hanging off of it could do more damage to desirable turf than a true dethatcher.

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Marinegrunt » April 30th, 2017, 12:28 pm

I used something similar years ago. It pulled up a lot of thatch but also a lot of grass. It did work but lawn looked horrible for quite some time due to the damage. It came back tho.

I ended getting a Mantis Tiller and the dethatcher attachment. It works good. It wouldn't be worth the cost unless you would other uses for a mini tiller. It sure is handy for a lot of things.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » May 1st, 2017, 9:38 am

Marinegrunt wrote:
April 30th, 2017, 12:28 pm
I ended getting a Mantis Tiller and the dethatcher attachment. It works good. It wouldn't be worth the cost unless you would other uses for a mini tiller. It sure is handy for a lot of things.
Great combo. I bought a 4-cycle Mantis mini-tiller years ago for tilling but also picked up the dethatcher attachment. Back when I did dethatch (I no longer do), I found that it did a MUCH better job than those tractor pull-behind units. Yes, you have to put in more manual effort, but you have far better control, you can be more thorough in tight spots, and it's far gentler on the living grass. I do use still use it occasionally to clean up excessive snow damage.

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Marinegrunt » May 1st, 2017, 10:37 am

I wish I would've spent the added $100 and gotten the Honda 4 cycle. You can't beat a Honda small engine. I still love the Mantis 2 cycle tho. I've had it maybe 10 years and have had to replace the carb twice after a cleaning didn't work. I doubt the 4 cycle Honda would've had that issue since they seem to run forever in everything else.

mildewydog
Grass Type: showtime,midnitekbg mix

Post by mildewydog » May 11th, 2017, 3:34 pm

I have used one of these for many years. it does remove some thatch, but mostly scalps the entire lawn.

good for a reno,