Weedkiller triangle

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
gibson981
Grass Type: Don't know
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Weedkiller triangle

Post by gibson981 » April 27th, 2017, 9:16 pm

Starting the recommended weed killer triangle. First round of 2,4d last weekend, how long should I wait for second round? Hit again this weekend? Definitely some withering going on, but want to make sure I get a full kill! Creeping Charlie is a particular problem for me --> have some CCO ready to go if needed.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Weedkiller triangle

Post by andy10917 » April 27th, 2017, 9:31 pm

You need to read the instructions on the bottle of herbicide you purchased, and determine from that label what the period is before a re-application. If it isn't on there, post the product and brand here for advice.

Swamp_Fox
Grass Type: KBG, Creeping Red, Rye

Post by Swamp_Fox » April 27th, 2017, 10:54 pm

I'm not familiar with the triangle approach but did want to mention I had much faster burn down on my creeping Charlie with Dicambia than I did with 2-4D. As Andy said read your label, you can only apply so many ounces per of herbicide per X amount of square feet each year (usually it's listed per acre in your label).

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 27th, 2017, 11:06 pm

While fast burn-down impresses the impatient, it is sometimes a negative - if the herbicide doesn't translocate to the roots, some weeds will recover.

Swamp_Fox

Post by Swamp_Fox » April 28th, 2017, 3:41 am

That is a very valid point Andy. Personally, I mix herbicides on the low end of app strength to try and ensure the herbicide to translocates to the roots.

gibson981

Post by gibson981 » April 29th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Label doesn't say. Product is spectracide weed stop - a mix of 2,4d, mecoprop and dicamba.

Moved today and some weeds looked wilted. Other new growth that has come up since I last sprayed -- would like to get another treatment going for these at a minimum. Good idea?

Swamp_Fox

Post by Swamp_Fox » April 29th, 2017, 9:09 pm

I use the same thing you applied but under a different name, I use Triplet SF. Though the Spectracide you applied contains the same herbicides for control, though Spectracide contains much lower rates of active ingredients. I couldn't find the ounces per 1000 sq/ft on Spectracide's website either, so I would call them to get the actual rates. How are you applying your herbicide? Are you using a dye to ensure even coverage of the weeds you sprayed last time?

gibson981

Post by gibson981 » April 29th, 2017, 9:23 pm

Label says 1oz/gal which is what I did. Used sprayer, no dye. Just walked back and for (as though mowing) hitting the weeds as needed. Did not spray entire lawn.

Swamp_Fox

Post by Swamp_Fox » April 30th, 2017, 4:45 am

OK. I've had some time to do some research for you and here's what I found. Spectracide only labels for two applications per year, no less than 30 days apart. Personally, I believe in labels and would wait the 30 days before re-applying the Spectracide.

If you want to do something sooner than I would recommend moving to a different herbicide. By alternating herbicides you are minimizing the chances of possible ground water contamination (most important) and reducing the chances of specific weeds developing a resistance to your herbicide.

I would either use Dismiss or Tenacity for your next application (which would both really do a doozy on your creeping charlie), then cycle back to the Spectracide at the end of May if necessary. When you next use Spectracide I would try mixing 1 ounce herbicide to 1 gallon of water and adding 1 ounce of dish soap to the mix. The soap will help the herbicide stick to the weeds a bit better. In the event you are trying to kill a waxy bladed weed, like an Ivy, the soap will help remove that waxy coating on the leaves. Better yet would be to buy a non-ionic surfactant, which you will need if you choose to use Tenacity.

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)

Post by g-man » April 30th, 2017, 11:13 am

If creeping charlie is the target weed I would use triclopyr (tier 2 of the triangle approach). The CCO you have should do the trick, just don't expect overnight results. Follow the label recommendations for concentration and frequency.

rydaddy
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by rydaddy » April 30th, 2017, 11:48 am

I find surfactant to be cheap overall in comparison to herbicides, pesticides, and fertilizers that we dump on our lawns. Buy a gallon and it will last you. Also, and i do not push my lawncare opinions on others - but will simply throw in my opinion - I am a firm believer in blue tracker dye. It is a messy PITA. But i feel it helps me be a better applicator. Others do just fine without it. I need it - but i loathe it.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by TimmyG » May 1st, 2017, 9:21 am

gibson, the directions for Spectracide Weed Stop are straightforward with regard to reapplication. As noted by Swamp_Fox, under "Directions for Use", "The maximum number of broadcast applications per treatment site is two per year with a minimum of 30 days between applications." But that's for broadcast applications. Under "Use Tips", it says, "If certain tough weeds are not dead within three weeks, repeat treatment. Broadcast application is not necessary; follow spot treatment directions."

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by TimmyG » May 1st, 2017, 9:29 am

Your approach of following mower lines and spot spraying individual weeds as needed is exactly what I do. It minimizes use of herbicide and avoids the need to mess with tracker dye. As long as you keep spot spraying, you can go out there as needed with the Spectracide Weed Stop or any similar 2,4-D three-way. If you find that certain weeds aren't dying after a second application, it's time to ID and choose a more appropriate herbicide.

gibson981

Post by gibson981 » May 1st, 2017, 8:26 pm

Thanks all for the feedback.

I have been using the Southern Ag surfactant with my applications.

Good to know I am on the right track with the overall approach.

Once broadleaf is under control I'll plan on targeting the creeping Charlie with CCO.