A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
lilograss
Grass Type: TTTF,KBG,RYEGRASS
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Lawn Care Plan

Post by lilograss » May 19th, 2017, 12:15 am

Hi,

I'm in zone 7a(PA) I have a pretty good established lawn. So here is my plan for the rest of the year. Please make any suggestions/corrections.

April: Pre-emergent(done)
Late April: Fertilize(done)
May: Put down Starter Fertilizer
End of May: Spot spray post emergent(I have a minor clover problem)
June: Put down Grub control
July: Milogranite
Mid-July: Spot Spray for weeds
August: Kelp/humates/aerify
Mid August: Overseed
Mid August: Starter fertilizer
September: Milo
October: Winterizer

ezael
Grass Type: Fielder, Arcadia, Merit, Quantum Leap KBG

Re: Lawn Care Plan

Post by ezael » May 19th, 2017, 7:59 am

Looks good just careful spraying weeds in July when it hot. Should be fine if it's just spot spraying.

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)

Post by g-man » May 19th, 2017, 10:39 am

There are a couple of red flags in here. In example: why starter in may? Or winterizer should be applied after top grow stops instead on a date/month.

Ideally, send your soil sample to Logan labs to get a detail plan for your soil. Read the cool season FAQ for maintenance schedule article.

lilograss

Post by lilograss » May 21st, 2017, 12:14 am

g-man wrote:
May 19th, 2017, 10:39 am
There are a couple of red flags in here. In example: why starter in may? Or winterizer should be applied after top grow stops instead on a date/month.

Ideally, send your soil sample to Logan labs to get a detail plan for your soil. Read the cool season FAQ for maintenance schedule article.
My phosphorus was 36 , year and a half ago. Did starte fertilizer twice last year, I thought I'd don't once more. The timeframe for winterizer is right out of the article section.

g-man

Post by g-man » May 21st, 2017, 11:28 am

I'm going to quote the article:

"November

1. The last fertilizing of the year is late October to mid-November. Application should be when top growth ceases and you no longer have to mow the lawn but the grass is still green."

It depends on the year/region. Last year it was the 2nd week of December for me. It is usually Thanksgiving weekend for me, but there is definitely no exact day or month to apply.

I still recommend a new soil test so it is not a guess what to apply or how much.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » May 23rd, 2017, 9:48 am

lilograss wrote:
May 19th, 2017, 12:15 am
... here is my plan for the rest of the year. Please make any suggestions/corrections.

The June recommendation for grub control is proper timing for the traditional Imidacloprid grub control product as a preventative. Just a warning that the new Scott's Grub-Ex, which uses chlorantraniliprole as an active ingredient, will benefit from earlier application in late April or early May.

Curative grub control products would be applied later, during a grub outbreak.

For more information on the different grub control products and how to decide which to apply when, take a look at the excellent annual Michigan State University grub product article.

My personal recommendation long-term would be to use a chlorantraniliprole product in late April. Since you've missed that for this year, I would suggest using an imidacloprid product now. Alternatively, you could take your chances with no preventative grub control if you do not have a history of grub problems.

lilograss

Post by lilograss » May 23rd, 2017, 7:03 pm

ken-n-nancy wrote:
May 23rd, 2017, 9:48 am
lilograss wrote:
... here is my plan for the rest of the year. Please make any suggestions/corrections.

The June recommendation for grub control is proper timing for the traditional Imidacloprid grub control product as a preventative. Just a warning that the new Scott's Grub-Ex, which uses chlorantraniliprole as an active ingredient, will benefit from earlier application in late April or early May.

For more information on the different grub control products and how to decide which to apply when, take a look at the excellent annual Michigan State University grub product article.

My personal recommendation long-term would be to use a chlorantraniliprole product in late April. Since you've missed that for this year, I would suggest using an imidacloprid product now. Alternatively, you could take your chances with no preventative grub control if you do not have a history of grub problems.

As always thanks for the awesome suggestions.

lilograss

Post by lilograss » May 23rd, 2017, 7:39 pm

ken-n-nancy wrote:
May 23rd, 2017, 9:48 am
lilograss wrote:

All I could find was this : http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bayer-Advanc ... /202616493

But it's for tree and shrubs. You know anything I can find in the big bix stores?

g-man

Post by g-man » May 23rd, 2017, 9:03 pm

Hmm, it seems like home Depot is only doing grubex1. Look for granular bags that call for season long control near the fertilizer. Here is one from Lowe's, but Walmart and other places have them too.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/BAYER-ADVANCED-S ... er/3019485

lilograss

Post by lilograss » May 23rd, 2017, 10:12 pm

g-man wrote:
May 23rd, 2017, 9:03 pm
Hmm, it seems like home Depot is only doing grubex1. Look for granular bags that call for season long control near the fertilizer. Here is one from Lowe's, but Walmart and other places have them too.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/BAYER-ADVANCED-S ... er/3019485
This is perfect thanks!!