New Home Owner seeking advice/ weed ID

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
Kevin Mac
Grass Type: Centipede
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

New Home Owner seeking advice/ weed ID

Post by Kevin Mac » June 8th, 2017, 11:44 am

So we moved into a new house last July and didn't have much time to do anything with the lawn, although it wasn't in terrible shape. There are areas in the backyard where the Centipede grass is full and thick, other areas that are compacted and have accumulated some moss and algae making the grass thin and splotchy, and other areas that have compacted and gone bare. Weeds are mostly clover and dandelion. This summer, I decided to focus my efforts on the front yard, since that's what everybody sees anyway. Put down Milorganite about a month ago, did some core aeration about a week ago and have grass starting in the bare spots thanks to a combination of Black Kow and Scott's Centipede Patch w/ mulch and fertilizer. This weekend I will be doing some overseeding in thinner areas of the yard. It looks like things are coming together, but I've still got some issues I need help with.

I've got these areas where the grass is growing really full and thick, and much darker green than the rest of the yard (to my knowledge I did not drop any large amounts of fertilizer in any one spot.) In the front and back, I've got areas of grass that are growing taller and thinner than the surrounding centipede, and something growing on runners that is producing those tall weeds with the little black seeds along the ends (see pictures below). Any info regarding what this might be, or any advice in general for a new homeowner would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for allowing me to join the community!!

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: New Home Owner seeking advice/ weed ID

Post by TimmyG » June 8th, 2017, 10:27 pm

Welcome, Kevin. The seedheads in that last pic look like those of bahiagrass.

You'd be wise to keep this NCSU TurfFiles ID resource bookmarked.

Kevin Mac

Post by Kevin Mac » June 9th, 2017, 8:04 am

Thanks for the resource! Going to be very useful. Any idea about how to kill off Bahia without damaging the Centipede, or why I'm getting tufts of extra thick growth in certain spots?

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)

Post by g-man » June 9th, 2017, 8:25 am

^any dogs near by that use your lawn to pee?

Kevin Mac

Post by Kevin Mac » June 9th, 2017, 5:44 pm

g-man wrote:
June 9th, 2017, 8:25 am
^any dogs near by that use your lawn to pee?
Not that I've seen. Haven't seen any dogs in this neighborhood that aren't fenced in or on a leash. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened though.