annual ragweed control

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
darinbrown
Grass Type: Zoysia
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

annual ragweed control

Post by darinbrown » June 21st, 2017, 1:45 pm

have mainly bare dirt as a result of a pool build and haven't gotten new sod done yet. annual ragweed is out of control and an application of glyphosate didn't really knock it back much. if the glyphosate didn't do much to it any chance a generic broadleaf weed killer from a big box store will do anything? or should I just plan on hand pulling and/or action hoe?

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)

Re: annual ragweed control

Post by g-man » June 21st, 2017, 3:13 pm

Could you share how tall the ragweed is? How many times have you applied glyphosate? Have you watered the area? Fertilized?

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » June 21st, 2017, 5:08 pm

Can't go wrong with hand pulling, which is pretty easy with ragweed. As you've learned the hard way, some ragweed strains have grown resistant to glyphosate due to heavy use in Roundup Ready crops, notably soybeans. Either I haven't experienced this in my neck of the woods, or I don't pay attention when I follow up extensive glyphosate spraying with hand pulling of the remaining stragglers.

It appears that the best chemical control strategy involves combining two or more herbicide modes of action, such as mixing glyphosate and 2,4-D. Check out this article from Purdue.

darinbrown
Grass Type: Zoysia

Post by darinbrown » June 21st, 2017, 5:20 pm

most of them are small (under 4") but it just seems like more keep sprouting up all over the yard. haven't watered/fertilized at all back there.. only stuff going on the yard is a bit of rain and 2-3 apps of BLSC.