small space between fence and trees

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
timingchainslipped
Grass Type: kbg
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

small space between fence and trees

Post by timingchainslipped » July 12th, 2017, 11:38 pm

there's a small space between fence and trees.
i can barely fit back there so the mower def. can't.

my question: when it rains the dirt hits the fence. plus it's a hotbed for weeds.

i want to plant a grass back there, but i don't want to be manually weedwacking 400 linear feet.

is there a grass i can plant that won't grow too tall nor overtake the kbg in front of it/the trees?

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: small space between fence and trees

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » July 13th, 2017, 9:25 am

I mow my entire lawn with a string trimmer. It can be done. Then again my "lawn" is mostly weeds with tall, stringy, and tough seed stalks. My mower rolls over them without cutting. The string trimmer works great. Mower is for grass.

Growing grass right up next to a fence requires grass that is very shade tolerant. For you that would be a variety of fescue. It can be done and will look good up against the KBG. Fescue does not spread like KBG does, so you don't have to worry about it taking over.

What about mulching the area next to the fence? Weeds are relatively easy to deal with in mulch because there is not much for the roots to grab hold of. A simple stirrup hoe will take them out.

Fronta1
Grass Type: Tall fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Fronta1 » July 13th, 2017, 11:11 am

I recommend either chewing, sheep, or hard fescue. These type of grasses work perfectly four those type of situations, shade tolerant and slow growing. None of those spread. Or you could go with a mulch bed like Dchall said.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 14th, 2017, 8:31 am

timingchainslipped wrote:
July 12th, 2017, 11:38 pm
there's a small space between fence and trees.
i can barely fit back there so the mower def. can't.

my question: when it rains the dirt hits the fence. plus it's a hotbed for weeds.

i want to plant a grass back there, but i don't want to be manually weedwacking 400 linear feet.

is there a grass i can plant that won't grow too tall nor overtake the kbg in front of it/the trees?
How much sunlight gets into that area? If weeds are thriving there, then I presume some sunlight must be getting in there. A picture might help us understand.

Grass may not be the best option if you can barely fit back there -- you may want some other way of covering the dirt that is near zero maintenance.