Received soil test. Need P,k

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
Jiungerich
Grass Type: Burmuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Received soil test. Need P,k

Post by Jiungerich » July 17th, 2017, 8:40 pm

I live in Augusta ga, what's the best way to add P,k for my lawn. I have burmuda grass. Here is the soil results

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)

Re: Received soil test. Need P,k

Post by g-man » July 17th, 2017, 9:22 pm

This forum won't advice on your soil test. Only soil test from Logan labs. Either go thru Logan or just follow the recommendations in the current soil test.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » July 17th, 2017, 9:34 pm

I wouldn't go that far. I think the accurate answer is that the group of volunteer members calling themselves soil team six limits their advice to Logan labs soil tests.

Other members are free to help others as they see fit. But each member sets the limits on their own level of participation. If you decided you'd only comment on soil tests from Rutgers, well that's fine.

The site itself doesn't do soil test help of any type (Logan or otherwise)

micvog
Grass Type: Mazama Monostand
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by micvog » July 18th, 2017, 11:45 am

@Jiungerich -
The 10-10-10 balanced fertilizer referenced by the co-op for establishment is typically easy to find, even at a Lowe's or Home Depot (sometimes called a "garden fertilizer") and would give you the P and K.

If you haven't applied any fert in the past 4-6 weeks, you could re-do the soil test through Logan Labs and get a "Soil Team 6" recommendation. If not now, I would strongly encourage a Logan Labs test/ST6 recommendation at the start of your next growing season. I have found the recommendations to make a huge difference in my lawn.

My amateur recommendation, if you don't want to do the Logan Labs test now, would be to skip the initial 10-10-10 feeding but otherwise follow the "establishment" recommendation this year. In the north it is generally advised to skip the K in the Fall since it may increase the chance of snow mold, but my guess is that wouldn't be a concern in your case. ;) If you want to go straight to the "maintenance" recommendation, you are most likely looking at mixing a typical synthetic fertilizer (e.g. 32-0-0) with the garden fertilizer (10-10-10) to get to something close to the 16-4-8. The 16-4-8 at 6# per thousand would give you a NPK of 0.94-0.24-0.48; mixing 2# per thousand of 32-0-0 and 3 pounds per thousand of 10-10-10 would give you 0.94-0.30-0.30.

g-man

Post by g-man » July 18th, 2017, 2:56 pm

turf_toes wrote:
July 17th, 2017, 9:34 pm
I wouldn't go that far. I think the accurate answer is that the group of volunteer members calling themselves soil team six limits their advice to Logan labs soil tests.

Other members are free to help others as they see fit. But each member sets the limits on their own level of participation. If you decided you'd only comment on soil tests from Rutgers, well that's fine.

The site itself doesn't do soil test help of any type (Logan or otherwise)
For some unknown reason I cant quote the pinned post "Posting A Soil Test for Interpretation" viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9339 So i copied and pasted from bullet (3)
Use Logan Labs (preferred because they have ALL the items we look for). Your local lab's test will get you a recommendation to retest.
What am I missing?

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » July 18th, 2017, 3:24 pm

You're missing that the folks who make that request are just like you - members of the site.

Andy has taken the lead and most of the burden of helping people. So he's posted his guidelines for getting help from that group of members. Perhaps he could re title it to make it clear that the guideline is for getting help from soil team six members.

Frankly, I have trouble understanding how folks don't get this.

Andy is a volunteer. He gets no money (and plenty of grief) for helping other members. The advice he doles out comes to you for free. There are plenty of places (including Logan labs) that will change you anywhere from $15 to $25 (on top of the price of a soil test) to do an analysis of your test. Yet some folks are miserable enough to find fault in a service that they pay nothing for and costs those delivering it plenty of their own time to provide.

The bizarre thing is that those so quick to criticize him for setting limits on his help are often the least likely members to step up and fill the void. I see folks criticize him and STS for not helping interpret other type of soil tests; but I don't see those same people stepping up to the plate themselves.

Instead of throwing out the grenade that the site won't help, why not step up to the plate? These soil interpretations are coming from members just like you.

This reminds me of the idiots who would criticize Mallory because she would only suggest bluegrass blends. It was what she knew and felt comfortable providing.

When that was pointed out, the trolls responded that she should study other grass types and provide suggestions for PRG and TTTF. Like I wrote before, some people are just takers.

I'm reminded of that quote from a few good men.
I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn, what you think you are entitled to!

g-man

Post by g-man » July 18th, 2017, 4:50 pm

I wish we could use the PM feature to discuss your post.

It was my assumption that it was frown upon for non ST6 members to provide help in soil interpretations. It could be confusing to a new member that has no clue of what ST6 is if they see a pinned post from an administrator saying one thing and a member doing another. I just stayed the posted rules and I see now that I was wrong.

I in no way criticized Andy or anyone with my post. I have not clue who Mallory is and no clue what happen in the past.

A Few Good Men is one of my favorite movies (Enemy at the Gates, Godfather, among others). "Did you order the Code Red? Your damn right I did." I dont like your quote of Col. Jessup. It sounds great but it isn't. Col. Jessup was trying to justify his actions (he did cause the death of Private Santiago) saying that he should not be questioned since he was above the law.

turf_toes

Post by turf_toes » July 18th, 2017, 5:23 pm

yep. I can understand your confusion about the roles.

In a perfect world, there would not be any overlap.

But the reality is running the site is a lot of work. Finding folks I can trust (believe me, that's not so easy to do) isn't easy.

There have been several times I've considered others for roles; then they go off and do something that removes themselves from the circle of trust. So it's a small group.

Andy is a volunteer in all those roles. He spends a lot of time helping to keep the site running. But that role is separate and apart from his role with the soil folks.

He is a volunteer in both roles.

But if someone posts a non-Logan test, other members are free to share their advice. I may discuss this with Andy.

We may not want to cross pollinate those threads. So maybe we could consider another place for users to post those tests, in case other members want to step up on those. It's just an idea. But we will discuss.

turf_toes

Post by turf_toes » July 18th, 2017, 7:25 pm

g-man wrote:
July 18th, 2017, 4:50 pm
I dont like your quote of Col. Jessup. It sounds great but it isn't. Col. Jessup was trying to justify his actions (he did cause the death of Private Santiago) saying that he should not be questioned since he was above the law.
I see that. But as a veteran, I like it because it reminds me that so many folks walk around taking for granted the things they have that were earned and provided for them by the work and sacrifice of others.

g-man

Post by g-man » July 19th, 2017, 3:13 pm

Jiungerich wrote:
July 17th, 2017, 8:40 pm
I live in Augusta ga, what's the best way to add P,k for my lawn. I have burmuda grass. Here is the soil results
Sorry for the distraction, lets get back to your question

Based on the analysis, the soil needs P and K. They recommend for the first year to apply 10-10-10. 10-10-10 is 10% of N, P and K by weight. This is a good choice and I think you should follow it.