Weed ID Help: wild violet?

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
UrbyTuesday
Grass Type: Tall Fescue and Weed mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Weed ID Help: wild violet?

Post by UrbyTuesday » October 11th, 2017, 12:37 pm

These are all over my yard. I thought it was pennywort or dollar weed. But now I am thinking something else more sinister because my first 4oz app of Tenacity didn't touch it.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Weed ID Help: wild violet?

Post by ken-n-nancy » October 11th, 2017, 1:28 pm

Hmm. I'm definitely not sure about whether or not that is wild violet. It does look similar to wild violet if it isn't actually.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to treat it as if it were wild violet. The standard recommendation (which worked for me) is to make two treatments of triclopyr via Clover, Chickweed, and Oxalis Killer (commonly known on this site as "CCO") according to label directions, with the two treatments spaced 14 days apart. Triclopyr is effective against most "woody" weeds, not just the common ones featured on the label.

Just as an FYI, the below photo shows a patch of mostly wild violets. There are some other weeds mixed in too, but the bulk of them are wild violets. The hand is in the image to give an idea of scale.

(click to enlarge)

UrbyTuesday

Post by UrbyTuesday » October 11th, 2017, 3:06 pm

Okay. I will treat it as such. The misdiagnosis as dollar weed is unfortunate because I am in the middle of a 2-3 app tenacity regimen to suppress some serious Poa. I figured the tenacity would wipe out the dollar weed.

I am due for my 2nd tenacity app and have some nice highlights right now. I will probably mix some triclopyr in with it to go after the wild violet. Thanks!

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Marinegrunt » October 11th, 2017, 4:08 pm

I wonder if there are a few different types of wild violet? We get them coming from the wood line that look identical to the op's picture. They get pretty good size and are also dark green in color. Triclopyr, as Ken-n-Nancy recommended, knocks them out for us too. I think I used the Ortho Poison Ivy and Brush Killer which is also 8% Triclopyr.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » October 11th, 2017, 7:00 pm

The only difference between the CCO product and the Poison Ivy product is the label and instructions. The Poison Ivy label is making the applied product about double the strength of the CCO instructions. That is too strong for lawn use and may cause some loss of sensitive grass. Use either product but use the label for the CCO (you can find it online).

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 12th, 2017, 10:56 am

Yep, I would categorize that as a "woody plant", which means you want Triclopyr. Creeping charlie / wild violet? Maybe.

Don't think it's going to wilt and die in a week. Triclopyr takes a while - but the tortoise will win that race.

UrbyTuesday

Post by UrbyTuesday » November 4th, 2017, 7:12 am

I think I got my answer!

UrbyTuesday

Post by UrbyTuesday » November 4th, 2017, 7:20 am

Also, has anyone posted instructions on mixing CCO into a tank sprayer? The 32oz hose end bottle is good for 6400sf. I have 25k sf. I believe it's an 8% concentration or something? I'd rather apply with my Chapin (almost like spot treating) so I don't have to go buy another bottle and so it doesn't completely wipe out the bermuda areas that I plan to wipe out NEXT summer!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » November 4th, 2017, 8:33 am

It sounds like you're looking for instructions for diluting the RTU ("ready to use") product. Not easy. You have no idea as to how much water the hose-end supplies.

The CONCENTRATE is 8%, and the mixing instructions on the concentrate bottle are good/correct. Either use the concentrate or apply what you have as a hose-end sprayer product. It's really easy to goof up the math (too many unknowns).

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » November 4th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Just read the labels for the both the RTU and Concentrate bottles online, verify that they're the same concentration (likely), and follow the Concentrate instructions. Not rocket science.