Chipmunks - Furry little annoying animals

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
nutshellml
Grass Type: Rye, Fescue, KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Chipmunks - Furry little annoying animals

Post by nutshellml » October 11th, 2017, 3:45 pm

So chipmunks have invaded... They are not just burrowing near my patios, but also in the middle of the lawn in areas. And it's bascially pushing up the lawn and making it very "squishy" lol.

Anyone else experience this? Anyone have any remedy's?

Thanks...

lVlrBoJang1es
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Chipmunks - Furry little annoying animals

Post by lVlrBoJang1es » October 12th, 2017, 7:51 am

Chipmunks AND squirrels in my case!

The back “throw away” zone of my yard (about 500 sq feet) has a few trees that happen to dump a carpet of acorns on that section of my lawn. So much so to the point where the grass thins out to an almost non-existent state every fall. Luckily you can’t see this area from any spot on my property since it’s behind my garage. This is all fine and dandy, but the squirrels and chipmunks like to run a non-stop assembly line of moving these nuts into the center (visible part) of my lawn at which point they dig mini craters in an attempt to hide the nuts.

From what I’ve read any methods of repelling these fury menaces are futile at best. You’ll probably go mad attempting to do so. A guard dog might help, but I’m sure the K9 will do more damage to the lawn than the squirrels will…

I’ve learned to accept the situation for what it is. I personally haven’t tried any natural/chemical repellants but from what I’ve read they’re only a temporary solution, if they even provide any relief at all. I’ve google searched this a bit more than I care to admit and haven’t seen anything remotely promising… If you kill the bastards, chances are another one will claim the territory as its own shortly after.

I have upgraded my air-soft gun with a scope recently and will get some enjoyment out of target practice when the girlfriend (animal lover) isn’t watching. The gun is only spring loaded, so maybe after a few non-lethal pops, the damn furballs will spread word to their buddies that my yard is a no-go zone.

If you find something that works for longer than a week or two that hasn’t already been tried, you might want to quit your day job and start marketing whatever it is that you’ve found.

Good luck!

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Marinegrunt » October 12th, 2017, 10:47 am

When we moved into our current home about 2 years ago we had a huge chipmunk problem. I caught over 30 in a about a 2 week period. I used the little metal cage traps. They have the larger ones made for raccoons and possums and then a smaller size for chipmunks. I used whole sunflower seeds as bait. Just make a path of seeds towards and into the trap. Then place 4 of 5 on the trigger plate. I even caught 2 at once one time. I then took them down to some state ground which is miles away from any houses.

There are other ways to get rid of them. One involves a five gallon bucket filled with water and a board balanced just right. There was no way our daughter would have let me do that! I was glad the humane way worked so well.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 12th, 2017, 10:58 am

I have reduced chipmunk populations with a .22, bb gun, and even a 12 guage before.

There isn't much meat to eat on them, unfortunately. :D :D

nutshellml
Grass Type: Rye, Fescue, KBG

Post by nutshellml » October 12th, 2017, 10:59 am

HAHA... Little too residential for me to try that approach :)

rtomek
Grass Type: Elite KBG Sod (unknown cultivars)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by rtomek » October 12th, 2017, 12:48 pm

Getting an outdoor cat.

RockinMyLawn
Grass Type: Fescue

Post by RockinMyLawn » October 16th, 2017, 12:16 am

We had 3 earlier this past summer and was able to relocate 2.
Basically bought a human cage and trap them in with sunflower seeds.

Snagged a couple of squirrels too.
Fun.