Fertilizer strength/dispersion/uniform coverage

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
UrbyTuesday
Grass Type: Tall Fescue and Weed mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Fertilizer strength/dispersion/uniform coverage

Post by UrbyTuesday » October 11th, 2017, 3:55 pm

I wasn't sure where to ask this and did a search for 'fertilizer dispersion' to no avail. But my question is as follows:

What are the potential differences/risks/advantages between the following 2 applications -
1) Apply 50 lbs of 36-0-0 fertilizer to a given area (18k sf) to meet my 1lb/k N need.
2) Apply 100 lbs of 18-0-0 fertilizer to the same area to meet my 1lb/k N need.

The latter obviously contains more pellets/particles etc. Presumably, each particle has less active ingredient. it would seem that the latter application, albeit potentially more expensive, would provide more uniform coverage over the same area. Granted, my assumption of greater uniform coverage implies that the particles in app 2 are half as strong as the particles in app 1.

Are you guys familiar with any posts or opinions which discuss this topic and whether app 2 might offer more uniform distribution and potentially less likelihood of burning the lawn if a wannabee lawn expert like myself is still getting up to speed and learning to calibrate properly?

Thanks!

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Fertilizer strength/dispersion/uniform coverage

Post by schreibdave » October 11th, 2017, 9:07 pm

If you have a hard time getting even dispersal of the fertilizer - either because of your spreader or shape of your yard - the 100 lbs dropped north/south, east/west and then again diagonally will give you the most even coverage. But personally I would do the 50 lbs and just do north/south.

JohnP
Grass Type: KBG Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by JohnP » October 11th, 2017, 9:46 pm

If you feel it gives you better results I say go for it but you might just be overthinking your spread.

With my applications I've been learning my spreader and feel I get better each time. You're about 3x the size of my yard.

My other question would be with all the additional pellets/granulars on the ground would watering time need to be adjusted?

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 12th, 2017, 10:53 am

General rule of thumb - more passes is better for uniform distribution of something. The best approach is to set the spreader at the lowest flow setting where the prill will flow freely and evenly, then go in as many directions as possible across the area. Ergo, north-south, east-west, northeast-southwest, northwest, southeast - you get the idea.

Add the settings charts to your compost bin :P :P

rtomek
Grass Type: Elite KBG Sod (unknown cultivars)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by rtomek » October 12th, 2017, 1:40 pm

Like HLG mentioned, you can turn the dial down on your 50 lb to make two passes with either product if you want. I always go for one pass though because it saves time. But with a new product, you sometimes have to make adjustments on the fly. You're not going to burn a lawn if part of it gets 0.8 lb/k and other parts get 1.2 lb/k, and all of the lawn gets food. 1.0 isn't a magic number, you can even out the distribution on the next application. If you're that worried about it, put half of the fertilizer in your hopper and see if it covers half of your yard. Then you'll have a better idea of what setting to use on the second half.