Spraying BLSC

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
Adam_M
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Spraying BLSC

Post by Adam_M » May 8th, 2018, 3:01 pm

I tried to use a hose end sprayer to spray some BLSC this weekend and ran into problems. I mixed the components, let them sit overnight, decanted the concentrate into a hose end sprayer, and got to it. I made it about 50-60 feet and the sprayer started to clog - it was very apparent as the spray changed from tan to clear.

Any suggestions on how to help with this? Do you normally filter the concentrate before putting it in the sprayer?

Thanks!

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: Spraying BLSC

Post by TimmyG » May 8th, 2018, 3:46 pm

BLSC or BLKH? BLSC shouldn't be tan. BLKH spray, however, can be quite brown and therefore useful for knowing when the sprayer is clogged.

I do filter BLKH using a tea strainer as I make it due to the humic acid "powder" being a bit rocky and impossible to dissolve completely. See here.

Adam_M
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Prosperity

Post by Adam_M » May 8th, 2018, 8:32 pm

You are correct - sorry about the lack of specificity. I was spraying BLSC and KH at the same time out of the hose end sprayer. Interesting about going through a tea strainer - sounds like a good idea. I can do that when I transfer next time.

Fullheadofturf1234
Grass Type: KBG I think
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Fullheadofturf1234 » June 15th, 2018, 3:15 pm

I may have not searched as much as I should have but is there a guide on BLSC?

I'm looking to know If anyone has applied equal amounts in a 20V chapin backpacksprayer opposed to hose end.

Thanks

lVlrBoJang1es
Grass Type: KBG

Post by lVlrBoJang1es » June 20th, 2018, 2:07 pm

Fullheadofturf1234 wrote:
June 15th, 2018, 3:15 pm

I'm looking to know If anyone has applied equal amounts in a 20V chapin backpacksprayer opposed to hose end.

Thanks
Strictly the method that I use.

I recently sprayed 4 Oz/K BLSC + 4 Oz/K BLKH + FAS + Prodiamine all in one go. I did the application in the late afternoon and watered in with about 1/2" irrigation the following morning.

I usually don't do multiple applications at once like this, and I thought that if I was ever going to kill my lawn or sprayer unintentionally, that would do it.

No (visible) problems what-so-ever on the lawn. Sprayer held up like a champ- no clogs at all during the spray.

Fullheadofturf1234
Grass Type: KBG I think
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Fullheadofturf1234 » June 25th, 2018, 11:01 pm

lVlrBoJang1es wrote:
June 20th, 2018, 2:07 pm
Fullheadofturf1234 wrote:
June 15th, 2018, 3:15 pm

Thanks
Strictly the method that I use.

I recently sprayed 4 Oz/K BLSC + 4 Oz/K BLKH + FAS + Prodiamine all in one go. I did the application in the late afternoon and watered in with about 1/2" irrigation the following morning.

I usually don't do multiple applications at once like this, and I thought that if I was ever going to kill my lawn or sprayer unintentionally, that would do it.

No (visible) problems what-so-ever on the lawn. Sprayer held up like a champ- no clogs at all during the spray.

Ok good to know it didn’t clog but still confused on the rate... :banghead:

Per the 4 gallon tank( 1 gallon/k) how much SLS did you use?